help identifying single handle mixing valve- no hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

bellrock

Reaction score
I have a shower mixing valve , single handle, bought at Home Depot or Lowes 7 to 9 years ago. The water temperature has gotten colder and colder over the last month. Water temp in all the other showers and kitchen faucets in the house ( including the sink in this room) is very hot, so I believe either teh mixing valve assembly has gone bad, or gotten clogged. There are no identifying marks that I can find (other than the wod "DOWN" on the exterior of the cassette. I am assuming that to fix this I just need to identify the model and mfr. of teh assembly and replace the cassette... but have no clue as to who made this...Assume it is a Moen, Kohler, or Delta. Pictures attached.

Can anyone identify what this is, or tell me what to look for, ideads ofr troubleshooting? I ghave taken the cassette assembly apart- could not see any visible clogs or calcium buildup, the 2 mesh screens are black, but scraping them doesn;t appear to dislodge anything that woudl clog them. rotating the single hande, operates the mexhanism without friction....

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCF7934.jpg
    DSCF7934.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4,663
  • DSCF7936.jpg
    DSCF7936.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,746
  • DSCF7937.jpg
    DSCF7937.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,752
  • DSCF7933.jpg
    DSCF7933.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,320

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It should be an American Standard "UltraMix" valve, which is pressure balanced, and balancer is probably getting stuck towards the hot side, disrupting its flow.

bellrock

Reaction score
so, now what?

Thank you! So, is it a matter of trying to clean it out/ how do I get it "unstuck" (it seems to be turning easily when I take it aprat, or should I just try to buy a replacement cartidge?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks to me like someone has jury-rigged your escutcheon. But yes...just get a new cartridge.

I though this model was older than the 7 or so years you describe, and also never say it at HD. But anyway, it is what it is. A good supply house can get your parts. Not likely to find them at HD. I am sure google will also find them if you are so inclined. try Alfanoplumbingparts.com or nyplumbing parts

I was in your area recently. Flew into Richmond last Wednesday night. When the rental car babe offered me extra insurance because of the blizzard about to begin, I almost got on the plane and went home! Spent a few days at the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, for my nephew's wedding. My other brother spent a day as some maritime museum over in Newport News, but I confined my sightseeing to Jamestown and Williamsburg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
re: the history. I spent a little time on my vacation at the historical Jamestown vistor area. I grew up in Massachusetts, and it seems we were misinformed! We grew up learning that America was settled in 1620 by the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock. Who Knew!!!!!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
re: the history. I spent a little time on my vacation at the historical Jamestown vistor area. I grew up in Massachusetts, and it seems we were misinformed! We grew up learning that America was settled in 1620 by the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock. Who Knew!!!!!!

Yea and the first Thanksgiving was actually celebrated on May 23, 1541 Francisco Vásquez de Coronado camped along the Palo Duro in the Texas Panhandle and celebrated with his men and local natives a service of Thanksgiving.

But hey the 1620 is good for the New England Cranberry sales.... LOL

Asktom

Reaction score
I think the natives celebrated Thank God Day after Coronado left... not knowing what lay ahead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks