(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Be Wise

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

This thread was started not for speed limits but for electrical safety. It was high jacked and tried to be made into some sort of a joke instead of staying on the topic of safety.

The analogy of school zone speed limits was to show that the NEC is just as much a part of the law as speed limits but then we had a couple of posters that tried to even make a joke of our childrenís safety also with some off topic comments about school zone speed limits during school hours.

Now if you please letís try to keep the subject matter of electrical safety as the main focus of our discussion.

Are you passing out gold stars if we do? I want two, I like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Are you passing out gold stars if we do? I want two, I like to share.
    My Dear you are a star already and we all know this

Oh, you made me laugh, that is too funny. I will keep telling myself, " I am a star, I am a star..." Here I thought I was an angel.

You know, JW, you don't have to be cranky cause you are out of stars...

here, this will lighten you up,

It is a school crossing joke...

This is true, very true.

One day when my son was age 6 and heading to Kindergarten for the first few times, we would walk down and the old lady school crossing guard would take us safely across the very busy road.

Well, after a while, I would stand on the opposite side of the road and let him cross alone. Oh, how he loved it.

One morning I had to walk him across and that was when, she asked, " when was your husband shot in the stomach, in Nam"?

Shot... I thought, he was shot... in the stomach? I kept walking. Thinking, she was drinking early, or confused, or confused me with someone else.

On the way back, she was still there, this time she said, " yeah, your son said, the hole was pretty big."

Now, I thought she was delusional. But, I know kids...

When, I picked him up I asked him about this. And, he described his daddy's belly button.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Its not hi jacked, because we all discussed "being wise" in school zones, just an extrapolation. But now its all disturbed by foolish deletes.

Belly buttons get a little off topic I suppose.

Actually, it was a joke to lighten up some people would not start bickering. And, it was afterall, a joke about school crossing guards, and they have belly buttons, too.

Plus, it was seriously, funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Belly buttons get a little off topic I suppose.
    Did you notice that she said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    It is a school crossing joke...
    This was a funny story for all to enjoy and not an attempt to discredit or belittle anyone or anything. She made the comment that it was a joke before posting and in my opinion nothing wrong.
    Thank you for the humor Ms Cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    The only time that NFPA or OSHA will allow the working of a live circuit is to check for voltage or amperage.

Just by way of comparison: Apparently probing for volts or amps is not considered WORKING on energized equipment. Working must mean touching the live wires. But in the Navy, it is different. OPENING THE COVER of a panel or equipment is WORKING on energized, and out come the rubber mats, gloves, etc. Not trying to make a judgement.....the rules in these two different environments both make sense.

To open an energized panel would require eye protection, fire retardant clothing and other safety procedures in the electrical field also.

What happens is people see electricians working on new installations without any PPE and assume that no PPE would be required for them to work on their own system after it has been energized.

One case in point was my neighbor who received some burns after dropping a screwdriver across the busses of his panel. His comment to me was that the electrician across the street wasn’t wearing any eye protection while he was cutting in the electrical service panel. There was a big difference in the two panels. The one the electrician was working on wasn’t energized but the one my neighbor was working in was.

Then we have those who say, “Its just 120 volts. I get hit by that all the time and I ain’t dead.” Well my neighbor wasn’t shocked either but instead he was burnt and almost lost one of his eyes from the arc flash and flying molten metal from the phase short across the two busses of his panel.

Safety is no joke and it is our responsibility and no one else can feel our pain for us. There is enough energy in a 15 amp circuit to kill 150 people simultaneously and not trip the breaker or blow the fuse. 15 divided by one tenth equals 150. One tenth of an amp is enough to kill the average man and more than enough to kill any woman.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Why did those electric chairs for the guys that did not follow the NEC require so much juice if that is true? Was it bad engineering?

And my off topic belly button comment was for fun too, but I cringe when I see a "smily Face"

In the early years of the chair a voltage between 1,700 and 2,400 volts at 7.5 amps was sent through the body for about 10 seconds followed by a voltage of 240 volts at 1.5 amps for between 20 and 30 seconds. In a lot of cases the person being executed would be cooked and charred past recognition. Eye witnesses have attested to hearing a loud and sustained sound like bacon frying, and the sickly sweet smell of burning flesh. The body is to hot to touch after the execution has been completed. The purpose of this high voltage and amperage was to insure that the heart and respiratory system shut down completely and the lower voltage and time was to ensure that the person’s heart didn’t start back.

This has nothing at all to do with a shock that someone working on their homes electrical system would receive. The chair was intended to humanely execute a criminal not to maim or kill someone trying to save a couple of dollars doing something for their self. The comparison between the two would be like comparing apples to oranges.

For more information as to the dangers arising from working on a live electrical circuit visit this site.
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/cons...0most%20likely