Pool Chlorine Tablet vs. Chlorine Pellets

Users who are viewing this thread

accord91

Reaction score
I'm running low on Chlorine pellets. I have Gary's inline Chlorator with a Carbon Backwash Filter. Is it okay to 3" Pool Chlorine Tablet in it? I don't use the water for drinking or cooking with. The water is used for bathing and cleaning things.

I've only seen maybe one or two things on the internet saying you shouldn't use Pool Chlorine Tablet for potable water. Why would it be bad to use Pool Chlorine Tablets in my setup? Doesn't the Carbon filter out most Chlorine and other chemicals? We use it in our Pool and we swim in it for hours. Since Gary doesn't sale any more I can't find any place that sales these Chlorine Pellets at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remember years ago I used the pool tablet in a brine tank with no problems.
If the water that this would be used for in none potable water then there should not be a challenge..
What kind of price for a case of the 5lbs chlorine pellets to your door are you looking at?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would have to look at a bucket of chlorine tablets, but my gut feeling is that they are NOT made to the necessary NSF standards that would be required for potable water. The same way that "industrial oxygen" is not suitable for medical needs.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
I would have to look at a bucket of chlorine tablets, but my gut feeling is that they are NOT made to the necessary NSF standards that would be required for potable water. The same way that "industrial oxygen" is not suitable for medical needs.

Thats right. NSF does not certify any choline tablet or pellet made for "Recreational Water" (pool/spa), for potable water.

NSF is crazy about chemical composition of wetted surfaces used in potable water, so whatever the difference, there is a difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks