PEX stubout for replumb

Users who are viewing this thread

dickross

Reaction score
I've got to replumb some copper lines due to pinhole leaks (cause undetermined). PEX seems Ideal, but what do I use for Stub outs to the fixtures? The all PEX stub out arrangements look like they involve big brackets nailed between studs and a lot of sheetrock work. The copper stub outs with a flange look like they require a lot less sheetrock repair, but that puts copper tube back in the system where it just failed. I don't see any other alternatives. Does anybody make a brass stubout? or maybe stainless?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I've got to replumb some copper lines due to pinhole leaks (cause undetermined). PEX seems Ideal, but what do I use for Stub outs to the fixtures? The all PEX stub out arrangements look like they involve big brackets nailed between studs and a lot of sheetrock work. The copper stub outs with a flange look like they require a lot less sheetrock repair, but that puts copper tube back in the system where it just failed. I don't see any other alternatives. Does anybody make a brass stubout? or maybe stainless?

You must have deep pockets if you want stainless plumbing fixtures.

The copper you have had fail on you is either very old, or you have a condition with your water that aids in corrosion. Am I right?

I'd be fine with copper stubs personally, the copper in my house has been around for a few decades before pex even became prominent, and I see a TON of copper being used commercially still.

dickross

Reaction score
Yes the problem is certainly a water quality problem. Exactly what the problem with the water is has not been determined. maybe acidic? intermitantly? maybe some other chemical in the water. Maybe a new "improved" water treatment? Don't know and I'm not likely to get a good answer anytime soon. There are isolated areas all over the country that have been fighting pinholes for years.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
3pex%20plugs.jpg

Never mind the blue twist plug in the end of the piping, that is their "test plug"... How about those bends though?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I sure hope you aren't drinking that water straight out of the tap. Even if you use pex, the brass fittings might be susceptible as well unless you go with an all plastic uponor system. If the rest of your house is plumbed in copper, and you are just doing a small patch job, then you might consider using a thicker copper tubing than the hardware stores sell.

dickross

Reaction score
I looked at the drop ear elbows. All I have to do is knock a 12 x 16" hole between the studs and nail in a cross 2X4 so I have something to screw them onto. Pretty much the same deal with the PRO PEX stubout bracket. I was hoping there was something available that would save some sheetrock work. I guess not.
Thanks anyway.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have two choices. Let the stubouts "float loose" or open the wall and install a "backing support". There is NO WAY to make the lines secure without putting something in the wall to secure them to. even the copper stubs with a flange require some kind of anchor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks