(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I don't understand parking in America

Hybrid View

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default I don't understand parking in America

This has happened a lot to me recently and it really riles me.

I sincerely hope this is just an East Coast phenomenon and if it is I will happily agree that the West Coast is superior to the East.

Anyway. Here goes.

I know that few of you can really drive because you were never properly taught to and the test is such a joke here that a blind person could pass.

So I don't have much to work with.

But why-oh-why do Americans insist on parking their cars an inch or so from the bumper of the car in front/behind. Some Americans will even bounce bumpers when parking and think this is OK to smack cars up and leave scratches.

Where I come from (where we are properly taught to drive by licensed instructors) we learn to leave at least a foot or so between cars when parking. Then, at least, people can get out of their parking space when it is time to leave.

But I guess if Pops taught you to drive at fourteen on the farm, and the written test is just a multiple choice that even lucky chimpanzees in a lab could pass, then you never quite worked that out.

Well, here's your wake up call from someone with a real license. Leave a gap and don't think of bouncing my bumper!
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-18-2010 at 06:55 PM.

....let alone leaving cyclists a nice wide space as drivers pass them on the road instead of the few inches most drivers actually do, or leaving a car with a standard transmission some room when you are stopped behind them. The drivers are still somewhat courteous here where I live, but all bets are off in the crowded wallmart parking lot!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

I cured that problem once Ian. I got tired of not being able to get into my gate of the car. I got tired of having to push my grocery cart aside, get in the car, move my car up. I patiently waited for the man to come out of the supermarket and when he started to put his groceries in the back end of his car, so did I. By standing on his bumper, with the cart up against his headlight. He came running up saying, " I will move it, wait, wait.." so, I got off his bumper and waited for him to back up.

I wouldn't really recommend this.

I have a very aggressive looking trailer hitch. For some reason i always seem to have plenty of room.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll try some of those.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

In Europe they park on the sidewalks in every direction possible. Been parking in Italy lately? Get a bit drunk first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'll try some of those.
    Ian, you've been living in America long enough now, why don't you just do the American thing and pull a gun? lol (before everyone flames me, yes, that was a jab at your other thread)
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com