DIY Sewer Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hey All, As if I didn't have anything better to do with my time, I'm going to try to build my own sewer cam. I don't care if I spend $150 doing it because I can use it multiple times. Other companies are quite pricey.

I'm thinking of getting one of those mini cameras with RCA composite video out and a dozen or two LEDs built in. I'm still thinking about what I want to do with the housing though. If I still had access to a machine shop, I'd probably turn an enclosure for it and seal it up with a piece of glass in the front. No can do now. For now, I'm thinking maybe an old medicine bottle and replace the lid with plexi thats epoxied on. Drill hole in bottom for wires. Perhaps fill the rest of the inside with silicone caulking. Another option would be maybe a small old flashlight housing. Ideas?

I'd make my connections with solder and heat shrink tubing. As far as the cable, maybe some stiff braided steel cable. I could place this my power and video wires inside the 3/8 vinyl tubing. Could make my heat shrinked connections in this too. This would be stiff enough, smooth and water proof. Ideas here?

Could power it with just an adjustable voltage source and old TV/VCR combo. What do you think? Is this doable? Would it survive the sanitary sewers?

Thanks,
Jason

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Why not to use just a single core fiber optic cables?
You will need two cores – one to feed light and another
one to get back image.
This way you can inspect even 2†pipes.

- Vitaliy

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91309

Has 65 feet of lead. You will have to modify the housing of the camera by removing the slug, cutting the fin. I have mine sheathed in a covering attached with a electrician's tape and works awesome, sturdy enough to make turns and bends. You wouldn't believe the profit ratio I turn on this dime figuring the cost of camera to the cost of inspections. Does everything any other sewer camera will do.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Vitaliy said:
Why not to use just a single core fiber optic cables?
You will need two cores – one to feed light and another
one to get back image.
This way you can inspect even 2†pipes.

- Vitaliy

Where do I get these cables?

Thanks
Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91309

Has 65 feet of lead. You will have to modify the housing of the camera by removing the slug, cutting the fin. I have mine sheathed in a covering attached with a electrician's tape and works awesome, sturdy enough to make turns and bends. You wouldn't believe the profit ratio I turn on this dime figuring the cost of camera to the cost of inspections. Does everything any other sewer camera will do.

That does seem like a good buy! I think that almost taks the fun out of building one though. I'll look into it. How do you feed it into the pipe? Is the cable stiff enough? After you hax0r up the fin and slug, how big is the camera in diameter?

Thx
Jason

Last edited:

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Do a search and/or research. I just gave you an idea.
Cables could be a bit pricy but this way all your equipment
will be outside in a clean environment.
Sorry, for image transfer you will need multi core cable
(don’t be confused with multi mode cables).

- Vitaliy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks