(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Tires

  1. #1

    Default Tires

    I am getting new tires.

    I got a question. I am replacing the ones in the back, because they measure with the gauge a 4. The ones up front an 8. These are all season radials.

    Some tires places say to rotate the tires upfront to the back for stopping power. Now, Sam's club is saying, that Goodrich makes you sign a waiver if you do that, because they want the new tires in the back, so your backend won't slip out from under you.

    Which is better?

    I was thinking of putting snow tires on the back, and Sam's won't do that either, unless, I buy all 4. Is this unsafe to do? Putting radials upfront, snow tires in the back?

    What do you guys do?

  2. #2
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    You have front wheel drive?
    All wheel drive?
    Antilock brakes?

    1/16" depth is the tread wear limit. Confirm it yourself with a penny using the top of Lincoln's head.
    http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...-8&sa=N&tab=iw

    Vehicle dynamics is very messy but generally braking force is distributed something like 60 % for the front and 40 % for the back but an e-mail response from your vehicle manuf. advising you on this issue has to hold some credibility. They and the tire manufacturers will be the defendants.

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...7ad1a43d378bba

    Searching for patents on tires may give you some straight talk as to intended placement.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 12-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    My personal philosophy is to replace tires in pairs if I have to.

    I like to replace all four, but would replace just two if I had to.

    I'd never just replace one though. And I would not mix radials with snow tires or anything like that, certainly not on the same axle.

    My other personal philosophy is to have the best tires on the front. I wouldn't want a front tire blow-out at speed.

    Perhaps I'll lose my backend one day. I'd love to be able to afford a car that could drive like that.

    I suggest you seek professional advice.

    I also try to not drive through angry demonstrations if I am a member of the Royal Family. Can you spot Redwood in the crowd?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11962911
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-09-2010 at 03:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Engineer maddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I heard a Costco tire guy tell a customer that they can only put a new pair of tires in the back when just replacing 2 tires. They would not put the new tires in the front per the customer request.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    My personal philosophy is to replace tires in pairs if I have to.

    I like to replace all four, but would replace just two if I had to.

    I'd never just replace one though. And I would not mix radials with snow tires or anything like that, certainly not on the same axle.

    My other personal philosophy is to have the best tires on the front. I wouldn't want a front tire blow-out at speed.

    Perhaps I'll lose my backend one day. I'd love to be able to afford a car that could drive like that.

    I suggest you seek professional advice.

    I also try to not drive through angry demonstrations if I am a member of the Royal Family. Can you spot Redwood in the crowd?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11962911
    I thought I make it clear I sought professional tire advice several times. Maybe, I didn't...

  6. #6

    Default

    Yes, this one is a front wheel drive. I was going to replace the 2 in the back being those are the ones that need it, and move the front ones to the back, and put the 2 new ones up front. I might go with 4 new snow tires, but, I doubt it since, I found 4 very good all season radials in the garage. So, I might take 2 of those with the garage/tire garage and have those 2 mounted for the front, moving the other 2 to the back, depending on which ones are better. If those from the garage, my garage are not good enough, which I doubt, I will scrap them and buy 2 new all season radials and do the thing I first describe here.

    This is when I miss my husband the most. He took care of the cars, I hate this job. Ah, he was a good man. A good friend to me and to all, always a nice guy. And, always knew what to do with the cars. They broke the mold when they made him, he is in short supply.




    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    You have front wheel drive?
    All wheel drive?
    Antilock brakes?

    1/16" depth is the tread wear limit. Confirm it yourself with a penny using the top of Lincoln's head.
    http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...-8&sa=N&tab=iw

    Vehicle dynamics is very messy but generally braking force is distributed something like 60 % for the front and 40 % for the back but an e-mail response from your vehicle manuf. advising you on this issue has to hold some credibility. They and the tire manufacturers will be the defendants.

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...7ad1a43d378bba



    Searching for patents on tires may give you some straight talk as to intended placement.

  7. #7
    General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northfork, california
    Posts
    3,261

    Default

    Lots of great info and even prices here. Bought many tires from these guys.

    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

    And their AD just popped up on the right here! Scaary.

  8. #8
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Whatever tires you get, I'd ask for those that meet or slightly exceed factory specs for your vehicle.

    They'll ask you if you want new valve stems. If you say no they'll bend them to show you all the cracks in the stem.
    The thing is, they all have cracks and somehow they don't leak so I routinely ask them not to bend the valve stems.

  9. #9

    Default

    I sat 5 hours at the tire place today. On my day off yet. But, I learned alot sitting there. This place has a good reputation and I know my husband dealt with them most of the time. While sitting there, Sears came in and picked up enough of tires for their customers, the same as other same mechanic places. When I got there at 9:30 am, I already had 10 cars in front of me.

    And, after toting those tires from the garage up the basement stairs, because the driveway is a looking glass, I found out I had snow tires on my car, lol. ( I won't stake a claim to being smart with cars) So, the back 2 the man said, he had actually cut his hand when he spun the tire, and he came out shoving a business card at me saying, " you are in serious, I mean serious, serious need of an alignment."

    So, I scrapped those 2 tires, put 2 new snow tires up front moving the other 2 good yet, snow tires, onto the back. They measures an 8 on a gauge.

    So, driving home I felt like I was driving a new car. Such a difference.

    Plus, I probably gained weight sitting there, because the counter was full of some really good cookies, cakes, donuts, you name it. Alot of ethic baked goods, which I love.

    I met this man, kind of funny, sitting there asking him about tires before I found out I had on snow tires. I kind of like him.

    So, now, I brought those tires back with me, those ones the 2 I had taken, so, now I got 4 All seasons in great shape for spring.

    Next the Jeep.
    Last edited by Cookie; 12-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.

  10. #10
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    " you are in serious, I mean serious, serious need of an alignment."
    Caster, camber, toe-in, toe-out, ball-joint excessive wear, bushings worn out, etc.
    The tire wear pattern will tell you if he has "truthiness."

    You could also search on symptoms of misalignment.

    A woman in an auto waiting room a few years ago complained to me that her computer has pop-up ads for,
    How shall I put this?,
    "things that men are interested in that they think will make them more attractive to women" and since she was not interested in the things these ads showed she did not like these ads.
    I started looking for the nearest exit.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 12-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    I just found out about alignments and the possibilities of extra costs due to problems. Struts, ball joints, etc, I was told 8 out of 10 needs nothing. Well... I always need something. I always hit that one in a million. One day I will hit the lottery for mega bucks, but I will be like 92, and have no reason for it other than to spend it on my much younger boyfriends. At 92, who could I get older? lol.

    I am sorry to say, I got lost with your ads? Are you talking male enhancements? If so, reminds me of that song, Size doesn't matter. I am not stating my opinion on that either.

    I am neutral.

  12. #12
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Try "size doesn't matter" youtube for some really strange results.

  13. #13

    Default

    No, that sounds too scary.

    I am eating brownies and working (at home). No time for scary.


    Alright, I got curious, lol, I am impressed with the 115 lb cheerleader who can lift her body weight. I can only do 80. I guess that is still good. I took those 2 tires back down the stairs today carrying a phone and eating a brownie.

    That's pretty impressive don't you think?
    Last edited by Cookie; 12-10-2010 at 01:53 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Alright, so that was not impressive.

    How about? carrying down a flight of stairs, 4 tires, a phone, 2 brownies, and... a coffee?

  15. #15
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Alright, so that was not impressive.

    How about? carrying down a flight of stairs, 4 tires, a phone, 2 brownies, and... a coffee?
    In the dark?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •