(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Possible Bad Control GE GXSF27E

DIY Junior Member

Default Possible Bad Control GE GXSF27E

I am getting error code 1 on my ge softener. It is 6 years old.

I have replaced the resin, seal kit, disk rotor, switch and motor and am still getting the error. I get the error even if I run the unit in bypass mode. I also get the error even if the switch is disconnected. It always stops when it hits the BW indicator on the cam gear. Also as soon as I plug in the unit it immediately goes into regenerate now mode and I can not get it to not be in that mode.

To me it looks like the only part left that could be bad is the control unit. Any suggestions???? Much thanks in advance.

Scott
    Last edited by scottb022563; 12-17-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Resin can't cause error codes.

If you can't find out what the error code 1 is about, you probably should call Sears for service. Your GE uses the same valve, tank, bypass valve, resin etc. and parts are interchangeable. It probably is something with the circuit board.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Junior Member

Gary, thanks for the reply. I understand it is not the resin, originally I had bad resin and just passing along all the changes I made. I am just asking if it could be anything else besides the control( or circuit board) at this point. I am ready to buy the circuit board but it is $200.00. thanks again.

Scott

I wouldn't put that much money in a GE, Sears etc.. You should look into buying a new softener with a Fleck control valve like the 2510 or 5600 SXT. You can get parts and info from many sources at reasonable prices. And your $200 is half or so of the price of a new softener bought online. And install it yourself.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Junior Member

Gary, thanks for input. I am weighing the fact that I have already spent a lot of money unfortunately repairing my softener. At this point it is pretty much brand new with almost all of the prats replaced except the brain. Thanks agian.

I was able to get another control and wiring harness from another unit. I am still getting error code 01 with the new control board. So somehow I must have something together wrong to cause this issue.

I put the switch in wrong. The spacer needs to be on the top and not the bottom of the screw. I now have soft water.

Scott
    Last edited by scottb022563; 12-18-2010 at 09:17 AM.