Flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
The 3 inch PVC waste pipe below my toilet is about 1.5 inches below the floor level (23/32 floor, plus thinset and 1/4 Hardie backerboard. Flanges at Home Depot and Lowes designed to slide down outside of the 3-inch PVC piple only reach down far enough to cover less than 1/2 inch of the pipe. To ensure a good fit and PVC bond, how much overlap do you need between the flange's downward extension and the pipe? (I am thinking at least 1/2 inch, preferably an inch or more). If so, where can you purchase a flange that extends downward further? The only ones in the big boxes that are long enough are the type that are inserted into the pipe and are sealed with a gasket. I think I would prefer to avoid those. Sagacious advice is welcome. Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The proper solution is to fix the height of the pipe.

You could probably get by with a 3x4 long pattern flange, which you should be able to find at a plumbing wholesaler.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Glue a coupling onto the pipe, (cut the top end off if it projects above the floor", then insert a "spigot" flange into it, (cut it off also if it is too long).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks