GE hybrid water heater install with power company load management system

Users who are viewing this thread

dutzig

Reaction score
I purchased a GE hybrid water heater that is not yet installed. It did not occur to me until today that my current water heater is connected to my power company's (Progress Energy in FL) EnergyWise load management system, which allows them to cycle off my water heater in exchange for a monthly rebate. I'm concerned that the additional electronics of the GE hybrid will not like this. I reviewed the installation manual and there is nothing that discusses this topic. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Doug.

dutzig

Reaction score
I received this response from GE

The GeoSpring water heater can be used with your power company's EnergyWise load management device, but GE recommends that you do not use the device because it may actually increase your energy consumption. Here's how. The GeoSpring is designed to maximize energy efficiency by using the heat pump as the primary means to heat the water, but GeoSpring also has standard electric elements that can be energized if the water temperature in the tank falls too low indicating a high hot water demand situation. This allows the GeoSpring to maximize energy efficiency under normal conditions, but also allows GeoSpring to recover just like a standard electric water heater under high demand conditions. Consumers get maximum energy efficiency without sacrificing performance. The EnergyWise device turns power on and off to your water heater. This could present a problem if the water temperature drops too low during an off period. When the unit is reenergized, it will sense a low water temperature in the water heater and energize the less efficient standard electric elements to recover the water temperature more quickly (it will respond like a high demand situation). Had the EnergyWise device not been used, power would not have been interrupted to the water heater, and the GeoSpring would have used the heat pump to more efficiently maintain the water temperature at the setpoint level. By using the standard electric elements, you will have used more electricity and reduced your savings. The heat pump is up to 62% more efficient at heating the water than the standard electric elements. Anything that causes the standard electric elements to energize instead of the heat pump will reduce your efficiency and energy savings, and per the explanation above, this device has the potential to cause the standard electric elements to operate unnecessarily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks