Swing check valve repair/replace

Users who are viewing this thread

Ricketts

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

I can't seem to get the search function to work tonight for some reason. My 1" swing check valve on the inlet side of my jet pump is slowly beginning to let water bleed back.

I just replaced this 1 year ago when I replaced the pump, and it worked great up to about a month ago. Are these repairable? I do not know what the model or brand is - the only markings on the valve are 200WOG. There is a small hex head bolt, I am assuming for the hinge, and a large nut on top that looks removable. If it is a simple process to drop the pressure, pull off the cover and clean it/check for wear, I will tackle it before ripping everything apart to replace. It wasn't cheap, so I don't want to have to replace it once a year.

Are there any websites that have any info on repair/issues/anything else to look for on a swing check valve? Google has been no help, either. The only info I could really find online was a picture of a WATT CV Swing valve that looks identical to my valve.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide,

Rick

Attachments

• CV.jpg
    CV.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,514

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Try taking it apart and cleaning it . Chances are there is something between the check and the seat holding the check open.

John

Ricketts

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and info. I may try to take it apart first without having to remove the whole pump assembly.

Our house is a two pump system. We have a 40 foot lift from the lake to the house. We have a pump at the lake, which pumps into a water tank in the house. The second pump pressurizes the house. I replaced the top pump and check valve last year.

We had pump work done on the lake pump 7 years ago, and the plumber removed the swing valve and installed a spring valve when he replaced the pump. He replaced the spring valve twice in two weeks before putting a swing valve back in. He said small particles of sediment or sand were getting into the spring assembly, keeping the spring valve from closing. We have not had a problem since. I am hesitant to try a spring valve because of that. Could it have been the brand of spring valve he used? I would be willing to try again, but I do not want to have the same issue again. I will look into the grainger valves further as well.

Thanks,

Rick

Ricketts

Reaction score
I'm going to try a spring valve. I am hoping that any sediment that jammed the lower valve will settle out in the holding tank before it gets to the upper check valve. We normally drain and clean the tank every year and there does appear to be a bit of sediment in there.

Thanks,

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks