(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Noob help - identify this fitting?

DIY Junior Member

Unhappy Noob help - identify this fitting?

Pic 1
    Pic 2

I'm trying to hook up a new dishwasher, and I need some kind of adapter for this. Like the half-wit I am sometimes, I had the old dishwasher removed with the necessary fitting still on there...

I am pretty sure it connects to a 3/8 OD adapter of some kind, so I went out and picked one up. The problem is that the pipe has some brass coming out through the center and I cannot find anything that fits over it.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks to all in advance!
    -Corky

Default thing

That is the nut from a compression fitting, but since we have NOTHING to gauge its size, we cannot tell you what fitting you need.

DIY Junior Member

Thanks, HJ.

I just thought maybe there was a name for that particular type of fitting, so I could ask my supply place. Never seen one with that piece that juts out another quarter inch. I suppose I'll take a picture with me to the supply house, and if that doesn't pan out I'll call one of you professionals over

DIY Junior Member John in herndon's Avatar

Those pictures look suspiciously like Polybutelene pipe. That stuff is bad news. There was a class action settlement on it a few years ago. I had to repipe my entire townhouse when I bought it 3 years ago. There are contractors in my area who specialize exclusive in doing this. Luckily in my case the seller paid the bill. (it was about $6K)

ALL compression fittings require that the tubing stick out that much, if they are assembled correctly. IF it is 3/8" o.d. tubing, and IF the dishwasher has a 3/8" fip connection, then you need a 3/8 x 3/8 mip compression adapter elbow. If your dw has a "hose thread" inlet then you need a transition to that also, unless one came with the dw.