(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Switching from Ejector to Grinder Pump

  1. #1

    Exclamation Switching from Ejector to Grinder Pump

    I am so glad I found this forum. Our house is 5 years old and we have been struggling with our sewage pump for about 3 years. I have had it cleaned out numerous times and eventually replaced. Recently a local plumber told me that I had the wrong type of pump installed in the first (and second) place. It is along the lines of a Hydromatic SP40 Ejector pump. He told me that I needed a grinder pump instead of an ejector pump because an ejector pump is more suited for an addition or basement. This problem has gotten worse over the years as my family has grown in size. I can't begin to describe the problems we are having with sewage in the side lawn. I can't afford to have one installed (quoted around $5,000) but I want to buy the pump and try to install it myself with some help. My question is what differences are there with electricity and what type, size, gpm, etc. do I need for a single family residence grinder pump? Also, what price range am I looking at to buy this pump and where is a good place to look? Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

  2. #2
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    What is this pump for? City sewer, septic tank, effluent tank etc. Is it for the whole house or a basement add on?


    bob...

  3. #3

    Default

    This is going to the city sewer line. It is for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, one family residence. I am somewhat below street level with about 200 feet of road clearance.

  4. #4
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Where is the tank that the pump will go in? What size is the tank? Is this sewer a pressure line or just a gravity line?


    bob...

  5. #5
    DIY Member pump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    87

    Talking Difference

    between "grinder" and "ejector" pumps is that ejector pumps are going to be able to push 2" spherical solids up and out of the pit through your 2" lines, the grinder pumps are going to macerate everything up into a slushy and have a higher head capabilities! IMO I think a sewage ejector sized to your particular application would be the correct choice!

  6. #6

    Default

    The tank that we currently use with our existing pump is underground between my house and my driveway. I am not sure what type of line it is. How would I find out?

    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Where is the tank that the pump will go in? What size is the tank? Is this sewer a pressure line or just a gravity line?


    bob...

  7. #7

    Default

    The model that I currently have installed is capable of ejecting solids of 1 1/4". Are you saying I need something that pumps out 2"? Also, it seems as though this model is the smalles that Hydromatic makes. Is this my problem? This was not an issue until my children began to get older. We went from 2 adults, 1 toddler, and one infant to now having 2 adults, 2 elementary school kids, one toddler, and one infant.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zoellerpump
    between "grinder" and "ejector" pumps is that ejector pumps are going to be able to push 2" spherical solids up and out of the pit through your 2" lines, the grinder pumps are going to macerate everything up into a slushy and have a higher head capabilities! IMO I think a sewage ejector sized to your particular application would be the correct choice!

  8. #8
    DIY Member pump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    87

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisconq
    The model that I currently have installed is capable of ejecting solids of 1 1/4". Are you saying I need something that pumps out 2"? Also, it seems as though this model is the smalles that Hydromatic makes. Is this my problem? This was not an issue until my children began to get older. We went from 2 adults, 1 toddler, and one infant to now having 2 adults, 2 elementary school kids, one toddler, and one infant.

    Is your pump in it's own basin or is it in a septic tank?? When you say you have had it cleaned out, what exactly is being cleaned out? Any sewage ejector should be able to pass 2" spherical solids!

    Just because your family has grown doesn't necessarily mean you have to get a larger pump, you still only have 2 bathrooms 1 kitchen and a washing machine, is this correct? If it is, you're still only in the neighborhood of 16 - 20 GPM, which is very common for a house of this size! I think the problem could be with the pump not working correctly is, it can only handle 1 1/4" solids and also if you are allowing any type of femine hygiene products to get into your system, this would also cause problems!

    Your other question's earlier was what type of electricity is used with grinders, normally you have to have 230 volt for them! Prices are going to vary for grinders but it's the installation services that are going to be different also! You can do a search on the web to find different manufacturers of grinder too! I hope this helps!

  9. #9

    Default

    Since we had the new pump installed about 1.5 years ago we have not put one square of toilet paper or ANY other paper products down that drain. It still only went about four months before my red light came on and sewage came out. The other problem is I don't think they sealed the lid properly after the new install so guess where the sewage is coming when it doesn't work properly!! The pump itself is housed in a plastic basin with a lid. When they clean it out they dig it up, take off the lid, and go to town cleaning out the "sludge." Do you think buying a better model ejector pump will do the trick? I would rather spend 500-600 dollars and do it myself than spend 1600 dollars plus install. I am just so frustrated because I have been dealing with this so long I just want it fixed. My plumber offered two suggestions. 1) Grinder pump, $5,000 or 2) Septic Tank, $2,500. I do not want to spend either and I would rather take advantage of the city sewer instead of a septic tank. Any other thoughts?



    Quote Originally Posted by Zoellerpump
    Is your pump in it's own basin or is it in a septic tank?? When you say you have had it cleaned out, what exactly is being cleaned out? Any sewage ejector should be able to pass 2" spherical solids!

    Just because your family has grown doesn't necessarily mean you have to get a larger pump, you still only have 2 bathrooms 1 kitchen and a washing machine, is this correct? If it is, you're still only in the neighborhood of 16 - 20 GPM, which is very common for a house of this size! I think the problem could be with the pump not working correctly is, it can only handle 1 1/4" solids and also if you are allowing any type of femine hygiene products to get into your system, this would also cause problems!

    Your other question's earlier was what type of electricity is used with grinders, normally you have to have 230 volt for them! Prices are going to vary for grinders but it's the installation services that are going to be different also! You can do a search on the web to find different manufacturers of grinder too! I hope this helps!

  10. #10
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    That seems a little steep for a grinder pump. Unless your grinding for the entire neighborhood. Or does this mean someone put a little sump pump in a very small basin underground and thought that would work? This sounds like the problem to me. If you don't know how large this basin is, you might want to find out. If it's very small, it may need to be made bigger and the proper pump installed to do the job.


    bob...

  11. #11

    Default

    What size basin is a normal size? I am not sure but I can look at a list of sizes and guess based on what I have seen.

  12. #12
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    You really need someone local to have a look. All we are doing is a lot of guessing and that's not helping your situation. I would call around and find someone that is willing to do the work needed without costing you an arm and a leg.


    bob...

  13. #13
    DIY Member pump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisconq
    What size basin is a normal size? I am not sure but I can look at a list of sizes and guess based on what I have seen.

    For sewage it could be anywhere from 18" x 30", 24" x 36", or who knows, there are quite a few different sizes out there to choose from! I agree with Bob about trying to get another recommendation from someone in your area!

  14. #14

    Default

    Just a follow up. I dug up my pump (piece of cake) and when I turned the breaker back on (spur of the moment idea) it just started working. After months of barely working at all it just started up and drained the entire basin. So, I had the kids turn on all the tubs, flush the toilets, etc. All was great for a while and then.....back to not working. So, after mowing the grass and washing the van I decided to try another crazy idea. So, I took my shovel and firecly tapped on the pipe coming out of the pump to the street. Voila! It came back on and has been working ever since then (more than 24 hours). I have been using it with no problems. I am not covering it back up yet. I am contemplating moving it to a better location and possibly keeping it at ground level so I don't have to keep digging it up in case of future issues.

  15. #15
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Sounds like your float is getting hung up in the pit. Beating it with a shovel may have jarred it loose temporarilly. This would tell me the pit is too small.


    bob...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •