New State Water Heater Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Just installed a new State Water Heater Model No. ES650S0lSG and it leaks at the cold water threaded connection that comes out of the water heater and is installed by the manufacture. Is this a manufacuture defect or can I remove that pipe and add some teflon tape and try and retighten it. There is not much to grab to tighten it and I did not want to break it if those pipes are not meant to be taken off. There is a red plastic piece at the base of the pipe (signalling hot water) and that plasitic piece is cracked. Does that plastic piece do anyting besides tell you that it is the hot side?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is probably a dielectric heat trap nipple. It should unscrew and I'd apply teflon tape and teflon paste over the tape.

Rwbil

Reaction score
It actually is the hot water side that is leaking. Yes it is a dielectric heat trap nipple. I tried to tighten it with pliers but it would not move. I would have to get my big monkey wrench to try and get it off. Let me ask you, the red plastic piece has a crack in the bottom where the water was leaking from. Does that piece do anything. I tried to remove the red plastic to get a better look at the nipple, but it was not going to come out easily and did not want to damage anything. Does that plastic piece serv a purpose.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some heaters use a combination heat trap and anode rod in the hot side so whether you can take it out and replace it would depend on what it is. You could try removing it and retaping the connection, but given the degree they are tightened by the factory, I doubt that it will be any better. I am leaning towards a bad tapping on the heater which could require returning it and getting a new one, unless a pipe tap would correct the thread.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with HJ that is probably what you will find.

I'd try fixing the leak while the water heater is in place with the hopes that it would work and save additional work but the odds say replacement will be the end result.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
call state water heaters at 1-800-365-0024 and report the problem they will send someone
out to make repairs and/or authorize replacment

The heater warranty covers the heater ONLY, labor is usually NOT covered, although when it is less than a year old some companies WILL give a minimal allowance for labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks