Toto Drake Toilet Wobbles

Users who are viewing this thread

RBBeCommerce

Reaction score
I am installing a new Toto Drake toilet (made in China). The base has several ridges in the bottom (for support, I imagine): one in front of the horn that runs side-to-side, and two at the back of the base that run front-to-back, parallel to each other.

The problem is these ridges extend beyond the plain of the rim of the base. To make matters worse, they are not all the same height. Therefore, when the base is set on a flat floor, it rocks side-to-side and front-to-back. If I press down on the right rear of the base, it lifts the front left edge of the base a little more than an 1/8" of an inch off the floor. (Yes, the floor tiles ARE flat. I checked them with a level/straight edge.)

What can be done about this? Can these ridges be ground down? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Reed

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sounds like you have a defective toilet bowl. I would NOT grind them because if you do, and should crack the toilet, then YOU would have to pay for the new one. Return it to your supplier and get a new one. Open the box and check it before you accept the new one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the closet flange and how it is mounted to the floor.

I'm not so sure the toilet is defective and with the larger outlet there are a number of situations where a closet flange that is not quite proper would come into play.

Defects are unusual from Toto but not impossible, I'd like to see the flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tile floor even?
That's a good one.
When we install toilets, we use door shims at the back if needed.

shimming.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks