starting 2nd floor renovations

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
2 questions for you guys

1- I am thinking of tiling over the original floor in the bathroom......it would be a real bitch take out i know the cement is around 4-5 inches so would rather just leave it...so my question is with the toilet, if i raise the floor 3/8 or so is that wax ring still enough to seal the toilet or do i have to raise the flange?

2- i have 75 year old threaded brass pipe, the layout is staying the same just modernized, so would u guys swop all the pipe out to copper or just leave it? i was planning on leaving it but also having a hidden access panel behind some cabinets so that if there was a problem i could access the wet wall fairly easily

thougghts thank

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The easiest way would be to install a couple of 1/4" flange spacers. These are easy to put in and quite reliable, and you don't have to "fiddle" with the original flange in any way.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
yes its brass .....what did they put on the threads besides the string in them dayz

That string should be lamp wick which was run in the bottom of the threads with pipe compound on the top, without the lamp wick would guarantee major leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks