Whirlpool tub - able to retrofit a heater of a floor model?

Users who are viewing this thread

thetwins

Reaction score
Hi all, I have lurked (especially in the toto and AS champion threads - Thanks Terry et al for all your help about those things!), but finally registered to ask for the experts' help!

We are building a new house, and have found a tremendous deal on a 'new' floor model Hydro Systems Savannah whirlpool/air combo tub. It is over 50% off....BUT, it does not come with an inline heater. The salesman said he called Hydro Systems, and said that since the tub is from 2003, that they don't carry a heater for it, and probably would not be able to install an inline heater for it.

I emailed Hydro Systems myself, and asked them if they had any suggestions (mentioning the model from 2003). They replied that it was probably pre-plumbed for an inline heater, and I would just have to buy one and install it.

So my questions are:
1. anyone have hints or pictures of how to tell whether a whirlpool tub is pre-plumbed for an inline heater?
2. if the rep is wrong, and it's not pre-plumbed, then how hard would it be to install a heater in the recirculating hose? Any good aftermarket heaters out there? Anyone tried to retrofit one before?
3. This would have no warranty, being a floor model from 7 years ago, but the sales guy reassured me that they sell alot of these, and never get calls back, since everything should work, since it was never installed. Is this true? What are the chances that something happened to the motor or the electronics while it was sitting around at the store?

I have done a search, and read about 9 pages of good threads, but found nothing that would really work. TIA!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The heater module was probably something lets say betwee 6" and 12" long, which had threaded union fittings on each end. You would see a straight piece of pipe in its place now on the whirlpool. Removing the nuts, the heater module would drop in. But of course for that to happen, it has to be THE module. There is no generics on this stuff. And there would have to be a wiriing diagram, with a plug ready to take the heater and connect it with the controls on the tub. All in all, a long shot. The company will have to help you out on this, or it probably won't happen.

thetwins

Reaction score
thanks, Jimbo. So it doesn't look that hopeful, huh? I had thought that it would be more of a pipe connected to pipe-heater-pipe type of a set-up, so that as long as the pipes connected, then any whirlpool tub inline heater could be used...it seems not, though. sigh.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is one heater which mounts on the discharge of the pump after you unscrew the pipe union and then fasten it back to the top of the heater. Since union nuts are not "generic" you might have to contact the pump company, or some whirlpool tub companies. You may have to just do it "hit or miss" by buying the pump and trying it for fit.

thetwins

Reaction score
ok! I've got it...it's a little ghetto, but for a $2000 savings, I'm in!
What do you guys think about this? If the in-line heater can't be connected, then I'll use this!
[h=1]Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater[/h]

It's $35! As long as I'm careful, then I probably wouldn't eletrocute myself right? It's made to heat up water.
Now I have to work on how to change out the trim from gold to white or nickel! thanks, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

thetwins

Reaction score
ok. so i also heard back from the manufacturer, and this is their reply:

"If the manifold is not installed you would cut out a section of the pipe
to glue in the male unions then thread in the heater. "

I wonder if the heater has a sensor where it just heats water whenever it senses water flowing through? or is that too much to wish for, and there'll be other connections that would have to happen? I know it needs its own electrical connection, but it seems strange that they don't mention another way to connect the heater to the whirlpool pump or to the control panel. it does say, though, on their website, that the heater is just automatically on when the whirlpool is on, I believe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks