New Shower P Trap/Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Belmontj

Reaction score
I recently had a new P Trap for my shower. It is roughly 30 inches from the toilet . I noticed the water in the P Trap sometimes turns a bit yellow when the toilet is flushed

Is this a cause for concern? Is it possible the toilet is backing up into the shower?

Everything drains well, there is no smell, there is no water movement in the trap when the toilet is flushed

Thanks

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I recently had a new P Trap for my shower. It is roughly 30 inches from the toilet . I noticed the water in the P Trap sometimes turns a bit yellow when the toilet is flushed

Is this a cause for concern? Is it possible the toilet is backing up into the shower?

Everything drains well, there is no smell, there is no water movement in the trap when the toilet is flushed

Thanks

If you are getting yellow water in the shower when the toilet is flushed you have a problem

Who put the trap in?, it sounds like the pipe is pitched in the wrong direction.

It would be nice if you knew the actual lay out of the pipes. :confused:

Belmontj

Reaction score
Who put the trap in?

Can I invoke the 5th amendment? I did have a plumber look at the rough in. It is pitched correctly, maybe not enough?. It's in a slab. The old P Trap was cut out. At that time when the toilet was flushed there was nothing coming out of the cut-off pipe running horizontal.

In my own defense, I called 3 plumbers and none wanted the job. As I said, one did actually look at it. I offered cash money.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Why a "new" trap for shower? Are you looking down into the shower drain? Put some blue food coloring into the toilet, flush. Do you see blue in the drain?? Not good!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HOW you connected the "P" trap to the toilet line would make a diagnosis easier, as to whether the toilet water COULD get to the shower. What kind of plumbers did you call? I do not know any which would refuse a simple job like that, unless you were trying to get a "moonlighter" to do it inexpensively. I charge the same whether it is cash or check.

Belmontj

Reaction score
Yellow water in the trap? How do you even see that?

--I just point the flashlight down the drain; no smell

Why a "new" trap for shower? Are you looking down into the shower drain? Put some blue food coloring into the toilet

--The new trap was for a tub to shower conversion. The old trap was 2inch, but the drain pipe going in was permanently sealed 1.5 inch. I did try Tomato Juice in the toilet; no color change; I suppose that’s a good sign

What Kind of plumbers did I call?
--Every one the home inspector had recommended; plus I grabbed the guy working on the house next door and had him look at it

HOW you connected the "P" trap to the toilet line would make a diagnosis easier.

--The photo is not the actual, but a very similar situation. The red line is where I cut
ptrap.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In other words, you did NOT make a new connection to the toilet pipe, but cut off the old trap and installed a new one? If that is the case, then we cannot even guess if there is some condition under the concrete which could cause your "problem".

Belmontj

Reaction score
In other words, you did NOT make a new connection to the toilet pipe, but cut off the old trap and installed a new one? If that is the case, then we cannot even guess if there is some condition under the concrete which could cause your "problem".

Yes, that's correct. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I'll just have to keep an eye/nose on it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks