American Standard Cadet 3 Confirmations

Users who are viewing this thread

Vonerific

Reaction score
Well, sad to say I had my new AM Cadet 3 installed yesterday, (professionally, by a plumbing company, not DIY) I HATE it!... i did 2 months investigation on toilets, and narrowed it down between the Toto Drake and the Cadet 3. the ONLY thing that made me go w/ the cadet 3 is the repitition in remarks saying that it is hard to keep the Toto Drake Clean because of its design.
All of the negitive comments about the Cadet seemed to be more personal, and I thought "those wont ALL happen to me"... after all, i just wanted a toilet to FLUSH good, and with that being said, i am here to confirm all the comments about the Cadet 3 by American Standard.

Pros: It flushes great!

Cons: A. It DOES sit 4 inches away from the wall, looks stupid.
a. the toilet i had prior was larger, but still a 12" rough, and i live in an apartment and the only way to make it NOT be 4 inches from the wall was to cut a new hole and reposition it, and being in an apartment we couldnt do that. (although weve had other 12" rough's that have installed just fine, the cadet 3 is just off)
B. The tank does NOT fit securly, it wobbles. If you keep screwing down the bolts, the plumber said the porcilan will crack. We have shimmys all around it, and stirofome stuffed all around it. In a couple days we can try to tighten it more, but he put his wieght on it, and everything, and it will not go down far enought to touch tank to base.
C. the lid to the tank does not even fit., good thing we have a hutch over our toilet to cover the back half because there is about a 1/4 of an inch sticking out where the lid doesnt cover, and when you sit on the toilet and sit back... it pushes the tank lid to the back so each time you get up, you have to repossition the lid, and slide it forward or elese the crack is in the front!
D. the tank has a forward lean to it, so it also just looks wierd, and off....

All around, i just hate this toilet and now im stuck with it. Its from the apartment complex i live in, and unless i want to fork out ANOTHER 300.00.... im stuck with this. (I broke the other toilet, so i had to go in on halfs w/ the apartment manager for this one).... i cant belive all this drama over a toilet, and that it has caused me so many nights of not sleeping. At least its in, and i know the outcome....now i can just work on getting over it.

I hope this helps anyone who's been looking at a Cadet 3. :mad: :eek:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The Cadet3 is a poor man's Toto Drake. Both flush well as the Cadet3 is a clone of the drake, but the drake is a nicer looking and better quality unit.

I haven't had the problems you are describing, except for a slight forward lean of the tank, in any of my installs. I am guessing this is installation inexperience by the plumber. It's been a while since I have done a Cadet3 (I don't recommend them except when money is a real issue), but I remember that tightening down the tank was pretty difficult compared to other toilets, but it was possible to get it snug so there was no noticeable wobble...I don't like how much "padding" the installer used. The toilet sits 4" from the back wall? They should have used a different Cadet3 rough-in toilet then!

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with such a simple install.

Vonerific

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words. I am really upset. I even called a plumbing company first thing this morning, as i am willing to pay out of my own pocket for them to tighten down my tank properly. I have read what you stated that it "can be tightened down with a little difficulty, but it can be done", but it was 96.00 just to have them come out and do that, so i will live with it for now until i can save up some money. :-( thank you again.

Vonerific

Reaction score
The Toto Drake is my biggest seller. I don't know what you've been reading.

yes, that is what im finding out, Toto Drakes are exellent. That is what i will be going with next time. Above, im refering to the American Standard Cadet 3. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks