Danco diverter stem problem

Users who are viewing this thread

slipit

Reaction score
originally when stem & seat replaced - pipes noisey & water at spout not strong. The stem has washer at end & an O ring on forward end of cylinder behind cup for washer(no other washer except for bonnet where it meets body). I tried removing the O ring and water comes from spout when when handle pointed to shower. After many in & out instalations, I stopped the noise & water from the spout by tightening the bonnet very much, but then no water from spout when pointer turned to spout. It iis a 3 handle faucet abouy 30 years old. There is no access to the faucet except from the front so i want to avoid replacing it.

Asktom

Reaction score
Danco sells a line of replacement stems, and I suspect that is where you got the name, but that doesn't help identify what you have. You should post a picture of the stem next to a ruler.

slipit

Reaction score
I believe it's 9B-5D. Going by Home Depot today - will check & measure, since I don't have ability to send picture. It is definitely the correct stem - identical to the original. Appreciate your help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many different styles of diverter stems, so we would have to know WHICH one you have. Almost all of them, however, require proper installation to insure that both tub and shower operations are correct. We cannot tell why yours is not working properly, and might not even if we know the diverter, since we do not know how you are installing it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998030427

OK, you have a Sayco shower. But you need to take it out and inspect. There may be some debris ( pieces of old o-ring) inside the body, and some parts on the new one may have been damaged or slipped out of position. When removing and installing this stem, turn it half way out....don't try to turn it while it is turned in, to the "tub" position.

The packing nut may be too tight now.....lubicate the stem and packing well, then just snug up so it doesn't drip out around the stem.

slipit

Reaction score
It is Sayco - checked at Home Depot. I always installed it in tub position - thought I might damage washer/cup. Thank you - will go with your reccomendations !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks