Pvc vs copper under patio slab

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffrow

Reaction score
I am in the process of landscaping our backyard pretty much with a clean sheet of paper. I have the opportunity to run the main feed from the house to the irrigation system & several hose bibs under a as yet unpoured concrete patio slab. In SoCal so freezing not an issue. My options would be 3/4 copper sleeved in plastic or schd 40 pvc. Which would be more durable over time? I've had many issues over the years with pvc systems and while repairs are usually simple this run will be inaccessible after the slab is poured.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know why you would sheath the copper in plastic, but over time it will be less likely to be damaged than PVC. You also may have some considerations to consider at the point where you connect this run to the house piping. Such as backflow/vacuum breaker protection.

jeffrow

Reaction score
I was under the impression that penetrations of copper thru a slab had to be jacketed. I have nearly a whole roll of the stuff left over from a previous job. I just installed a PVB so I am ok on that front.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You said it was going "under" the slab, not that it was going "through" it. If it is penetrating the concrete then it DOES have to be sleeved there, but unless the underground portion of it is inside the building, it usually does not require sleeving. And if the underground portion IS going through the building, the question is WHY? It would be better to go around the slab in that case.

SprinklerGuy

Reaction score
PVC vs. Copper

Living in SoCal I will assume your POC (point of connection) is off a hose bibb at the rear of the house probably by a kitchen or washroom. My preference would be Copper from the POC to a depth of at least 12" under the slab and to a location beyond the slab into the landscaped area (lawn etc). Sweat a 3/4" Copper female adaptor on the end of the copper run and continue with a 3/4" PVC male adapter and Sch. 40 PVC main line to your valve location(s). When I wrap the pipe I use the black pipe tape. (Home Depot & Lowe's stock it).

jeffrow

Reaction score
Living in SoCal I will assume your POC (point of connection) is off a hose bibb at the rear of the house probably by a kitchen or washroom. My preference would be Copper from the POC to a depth of at least 12" under the slab and to a location beyond the slab into the landscaped area (lawn etc). Sweat a 3/4" Copper female adaptor on the end of the copper run and continue with a 3/4" PVC male adapter and Sch. 40 PVC main line to your valve location(s). When I wrap the pipe I use the black pipe tape. (Home Depot & Lowe's stock it).

Perfect, that is exactly my situation. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks