Pfister, Not Enough Hot Water In Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

rickg

Reaction score
I've seen several similar posts on this subject, buy my problem seems to be a little different. The water temperature in the shower will get hotter when you turn the HOT water on at the sink. I've heard of it getting hotter when the cold is turned on or when the toilet flushes, but not when turning on the hot. I have a single handle Pjister valve that I just replaced. Some days it can be all the way in the hot position and it stays warm....until you turn on the hot at the sink. I'm not sure if this is related, but I've also noticed recently that I get really warm water out of the outside faucet for a while...even in cold weather. Sometimes it happens in the bathroom sink on the cold side, too. Seems like maybe hot water is getting into the cold water line somewhere. I do have a single handle faucet in the other shower, as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On the new valve, there's an internal adjustment to calibrate the posi-temp. If you turn the valve towards the cold side does it get warmer? Could the cartridge be installed backwards? On some, all you have to do is remove the handle and rotate the cartridge 180-degrees to set things right.

What brand is the single handle valve in the other bathroom? Some are known to create a cross-over when they fail.

rickg

Reaction score
The new valve seems to operating correctly as far as the direction for hot and cold water. It is just not consistently the same temperature when you turn it. The single valve in the other bathroom is a Moen.

My water heater is a standard 50 gallon heater.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have crossover hot to cold, which would normally only be a big issue if you have a recirulation pump.

rickg

Reaction score
So, could this be caused by a bad valve in the other shower? How would I figure out where the crossover is happening?

rickg

Reaction score
Oops! I was wrong. The single handle valve in the other bathroom is a Price Pfister.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a crossover occures when a shower head has a shutoff and the valve is left on.
Some people install these to save water while they soap up, but if left on, the valve can cross over.

It sounds like a cross over if you are getting warm water out of the hosebib, you just have to start tracking fixtures down.

Last edited:

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
Oops! I was wrong. The single handle valve in the other bathroom is a Price Pfister.

Hi rickg,

From your comments, it sounds like you may have a problem with one of our products. If so, we want to address this issue quickly, but our Consumer Service Team needs some additional information to proceed.

Please provide: 

• The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions: http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/do_it_yourself/how_to.aspx
• Any other specifics on the issue you’re experiencing
• A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc.)
• Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to resolving this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks