Bathroom Remodel/Drop In Tub Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

tex72

Reaction score
Hi All, I am new and have found a lot of your posts helpful. I am at the tailend of a bathroom remodel. I purchased a drop in bathtub (acrylic) and the GC installed the tub, and assured me this is proper installation. It is sitting on about 5" of cement. When I stand in it, it crunches and crunches. Something tells me that is not good. Previously I had a jacuzzi tub that was in this tub's place, and it had the apron front. It was cemented to the floor as well, but only about 1-2" and never made noises. Here's a pic of how the GC has my tub installed. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

tex72

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1116692328_Js5ZM-S.jpg
    1116692328_Js5ZM-S.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,546
Last edited by a moderator:

tex72

Reaction score
and...one more thing....the shower...we are having shower with 4 body sprays with a 3 function valve....the plumber installed piping and all appeared strong and good, and then tile was put in, and when it came time to install trim (sprays and shower head), everything is VERY loose. Plumber says he thinks someone did something that knocked everything loose. ?? to do? ugh!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you!

1116713209_mDP4B-M.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are those Sharkbite fittings? If so, I wonder about his credentials as a plumber! There is no good way to keep things aligned or anchored well when using those since they can rotate - they rely on an o-ring and teeth to hold things together, neither of which will keep things from turning if you put a little force on it. Plus, they cost 10-15x more than a good soldered connection.

As to the bedding of the tub...I can't fathom a good reason to have 5" of the stuff underneath. It is a good way to do things, as if done properly, it will fully support the somewhat flexible tub and make it feel more substantial, but more is not better. If he actually used concrete, that would likely flow and leave voids. If he placed it there, then after it set, put the tub down, it isn't embedded.

I'm not impressed. See what the pros have to say...

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
jadnashua is correct, and you should listen to him.

As far as the concrete under the tub...you are supposed to use mortar, not concrete! If done correctly, when you stand in the tub, it should feel solid like cast iron, and you definitely should not feel any flexing or sounds.

tex72

Reaction score
Thank you Jim! And yes...those are sharkbites.....and your response has helped me tremendously. I cannot comment specifically right now, because I am in the throws of this and near completion with the GC with the project, but will give you an update when all is done. But THANK YOU for your time & opinion!

tex72

Reaction score
Thank you Lurker!! :) Your comments have been a great help! I had a similar jacuzzi tub that was removed, and I believe it was mortared down, we never had problems with sound. But it was only 1 inch evenly spread....

I told my GC today what you said...that they were supposed to use mortar....his response: "mortar and concrete are the same thing" ............................

stay tuned.................thanks again!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Simple answer. Concrete has stone in the mix' mortar doesn't. Any GC should know that.

John

Reaction score
Website
www.primeplumbinginc.com
As for the tub... there is no reason to install with 5" beneath floor ant bottom of tub. If it must be installed with space 1"-2" is enough. I prefer setting directly on the floor when possible. Why raise, then support. The floor alone is sufficient support. Also if tub must be "mudded in" i drape a plastic sheathing over the mortar first, then set tub. This eases removal later if need be. Either way it keeps the properties of the concrete, mortar etc. from drying out i.e. cracking the tub in the future.
As for the body spray system, the push on shark bite couplings, 90's etc are a terrible idea, i.e. swivel, turn loose. The backing is minimal at best. Probably someones helper doing a side job. Finish with a professional!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing with 5" of concrete under the tub is that it creates a safety hazard. Most people are not used to that big of a step getting out of the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks