Condensate and Washer overflow drains ?

Users who are viewing this thread

fishbum

Reaction score
I'm doing a major home remodel, including adding second story, second bath, wiring, new boiler, etc... (some work myself, some via contractors).

The new LP high efficiency boiler requires a condensate drain, so I'm wondering where this should drain to....? Also - with my washing machine on the second floor, I'd like to add a overflow pan with drain... I assume that the boiler condensate and washer overflow can share the same drain.

So my question is where to tie these drain lines??

There is a crawl space under my home, so no floor drain in basement. I can't tie them direct to my DWV system without a trap, I assume?

thanks in advance-

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
fishbum said:
The new LP high efficiency boiler requires a condensate drain, so I'm wondering where this should drain to....? Also - with my washing machine on the second floor, I'd like to add a overflow pan with drain... I assume that the boiler condensate and washer overflow can share the same drain.

Sure, they can share the same drain. As for the boiler though, if you do not have a drain handy, you can use a condensate pump. I have the following one on my A/C http://www.waterace.com/specialty_2.html ($40 at the Blue Box). This pump probably wouldn't be able to handle all but the smallest leak/overflow from the washer so it's not for that. You could use something like this though in lieu of the pan: http://www.smarthome.com/7115.HTML.

fishbum said:
So my question is where to tie these drain lines?? There is a crawl space under my home, so no floor drain in basement. I can't tie them direct to my DWV system without a trap, I assume?
It depends on the layout of your house. It's hard for anyone to suggest a location without any information about your current plumbing layout. You'd want to have a trap of some sort for each one unless there is some method of keeping sewer gases from backing up into those fixtures.

Jason

fishbum

Reaction score
My new boiler (Baxi-Luna) will be located on the second floor. It will hang on a wall that abutts the bathroom, so all DWV plumbing will be within 6-10 feet of the unit. My first floor bathroom sits directly under the 2nd floor bathroom.
So - I don't think I'll need a pump, it should drain via gravity.

I've seen dishwasher installations where the drain enters the kitchen sink tailpiece before the trap, so it's trapped properly. Would this work?

Thanks for the sensor info, great option.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The drain for the washer is problematic. If you connect the floor drain to the DWV system, it must be trapped, and you would have the problem of the trap drying out from non-use. A trap primer could be installed, and an inspector may require it.

You could also simply drain the pan outside the building. Since this would be a dry drain almost always, it would not present esthetic problems even if it drained to a patio or walkway.

fishbum

Reaction score
I guess if it was an emergency washer leak I'd rather have the water dump into the crawl space than down thru the house! In the ideal world the overflow drain would never be used. Draining outside might be an option...

So - is the drain for the boiler not problematic? It still must be trapped, true?

thanks for everyones help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks