(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pex piping

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

So there was no reason for you to mention the pre insulated stuff except to point out that I was uninformed/incorrect/wrong. Yet my comment that I never heard of it (implying it not being used for the OP's use), is a true statement. And the reason I haven't heard of it is due to no one using it normally to run a water line to their garage, or from their well to their house.
    You also have not heard of open radiant systems of which I have installed several thousand feet of with NON ox barrier tubing. [you deleted an entire post detailing this type of system that is fairly common, that I made]

When I try politely to inform the public that there are options to your misinformation or lack of experience with varied materials, since you are now imbued with the power of edit and delete, knowledge is turned upside down into a glorification of yourself. Lenin and Stalin had similar image issues.

What is shocking is that such perversion of power, that will make this forum a farce, is tolerated by Terry.

And with your powers comes the right to apply a false name to me.

These are the standards of a moderator that Terry wants presented to the public?

This irrational behavior will tear down years of his hard work building up this site.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 12-09-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    You also have not heard of open radiant systems of which I have installed several thousand feet of with NON ox barrier tubing. [you deleted an entire post detailing this type of system that is fairly common, that I made]

When I try politely to inform the public that there are options to your misinformation or lack of experience with varied materials, since you are now imbued with the power of edit and delete, knowledge is turned upside down into a glorification of yourself. Lenin and Stalin had similar image issues.

What is shocking is that such perversion of power, that will make this forum a farce, is tolerated by Terry.

And with your powers comes the right to apply a false name to me.

These are the standards of a moderator that Terry wants presented to the public?

This irrational behavior will tear down years of his hard work building up this site.
    You corrected me by showing there is a pre insulated PEX and provided a link. I read teh info at the link and said the product was used in heating systems, which is what the spec sheet from the manufacturer says. I provided a link.

That should have been the end of it because the OP had received an answer to his question concerning replacement of the new PEX line he just installed from his house to his garage at a depth of 48" in Delaware, which is way deeper than the frost line there.

Then you and others get into personal attacks and harassment running me down by taking what I say out of context. Your quoted post above is an example and shows you can't take a hint or get a clue

You were banned here once before as Racina or Raucina (I haven't looked up the correct spelling yet) and you as Ballvalve have the same IP number and ISP as Racina/Raucina yet you deny it and accuse me of using false information. BTW, you sound and act like Raucina/Racina too.

The correct spelling is Raucina.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 12-09-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Now that the hijacked plumbing forum has been fixed we'll try putting the information back.

One of the typical uses for the insulated PEX would be with the outdoor wood fired boilers like the one shown below....

In fact it can even be purchased with the supply and the return together in one line.

However in your application 4' deep should be adequate protection. In Connecticut well to your north we typically bury water supply lines at 4'.

No one that knows how water lines should be run from a well to a house etc. would use it in any of its variations unless their line(s) were not buried below their local area frost line.

And then it wouldn't prevent freezing in most cases of low temps for hours or days when water wasn't flowing for a number of hours at a time; especially overnight.

The product pictured is used to prevent heat from escaping from the water in the lines to increase the efficiency of the wood burning heater.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

In the absence of heat, anything will freeze if subjected to low enough temperatures. I have installed pre-insulated pex for underground water lines on a few jobs. Those pictured above are for hot and cold water, not boiler loop piping as they do not have an oxygen barrier.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Thank you Redwood for certifying that we are safe again from the tyranny of a power mad moderator.

It's also a curiosity that GS has posted hundreds of times about the wonders of pex and mainly PE as to its inability to break when frozen, and yet conversely argues the opposite when enabled.

The insulated pipe buys you a lot of time when things go wrong, and when things are correct, they save a lot of BTU's.

In Alaska, its common for heat tape to be another addition to the pipe run.

http://www.urecon.com/applications/municipal_pipe.html
    Last edited by ballvalve; 12-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    It's also a curiosity that GS has posted hundreds of times about the wonders of pex and mainly PE as to its inability to break when frozen, and yet conversely argues the opposite when enabled.
    Where have you seen me argue the opposite?