Direct Vent Fireplace - Snorkel

Users who are viewing this thread

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with venting direct vent fireplaces? I picked up a gas free standing stove that I'm planning to install. I'll likely do the venting myself and have the gas line run down by someone else. It'll be a below grade installation, and Im quite sure I'll need a snorkel to raise the height of the vent since it will only be about 12" above grade where it exits the wall. I keep reading that the vent needs to be 12" above the highest anticipated snow level. Does anyone know here I can find that height for Michigan? Looks like the snorkels come in 14" and 36" heights. If I can get away with the 14", I will, but with my luck I'll have to spring for the 36" job. Those crazy things are like $400. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Secondly, is it possible to cut into the middle of a gas line to install a tee, or would it be more cost effective to disconnect the line back to a union or something to add a drop for the fireplace. The stove will be right below the existing gas line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks