faucet stem problem - semi urgent...

Users who are viewing this thread

thegallery

Reaction score
I just replaced two tap stems in one bath and figured a separate shower facet in an adjacent bath would be the same. I figured wrong!

So I go to take out the whole stem but when I try turning the large brass nut at the back it doesn't move? I put a lot of force with a pipe wrench on it but no luck, and I'm frightened to try to force it because I'm not sure it does move?

The tap itself is not leaking but both taps are letting water run into the shower head and drip. It slowly got harder and harder to turn off and now you can't turn it off completely.

I think I remember a way of just replacing the inner part but even with those the inner retaining bolt easily comes off but the turning rod does not? Plus being that they are 50 years old I kinda just want to replace the whole stem.

Any ideas?

photo.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
Put the stem in the on position, if the washer is smushed against the seat it makes things bind up. Be sure to screw the packing nut back in before you try to remove the stem or you are likely to damage it. Change the seat while you have it all apart. From what I can see, it looks like a Price Pfister. Parts are easy to find and cheap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yep...turn the stem to the open postition...that should free it up..I never otherwise saw one that won't turn.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would recomend replacing the valve with a pressure balanced Moen valve using a reno kit to cover the holes in your tile. The stems will be hard to find and probably fairly costly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Cutting a hole in his wall is probably FAR from what he has in mind at this time. That stem is probably a Price Pfister, but in any event, it is probably more common than stripes on a zebra! Should be available for under $15 at Ace, HD, or Walmart!

Noted that at the upper right in the photo, the tile installer got a little close to the hole. The stem may not clear....but that is also easy. VERY carefully 'worry' away the tile by chipping at it with a flat cold chisel and hammer. I have done that a million times without cracking a tile. Just nibble tiny little chunks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The body has a hexagonal casting which means it is designed to be removed. As stated, it appears to be PricePfister, but a picture of the handles would help to define it. If I were fixing it, and it was PricePfister, I would change the stems to the new "lifetime" ceramic seal ones, but that is not a job for a DIYer, (and even some plumbers do not know how to do it), since if done wrong you can destroy the inside of the body, and then you WOULD have to replace the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks