(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I learned from the cops today

I am just curious Ian. In UK, cops, they don't carry guns, right? What happens when they are confronted by someone with a gun?

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Thanks Cookie and an excellent question. When confronted with somone with a gun, they call in specialized, trained units that have guns.

Their job is made a little easier than here, since guns are illegal. That means, if you see a gun (and he's not a farmer) then he's a bad guy.

It's not like here where every town cop and security guard is given a pistol instead of training them to handle themselves in self-defence.

The difference this makes is enormous. In England, if you run at a cop and hit him, he will beat you up. Here, a cop will shoot you and you could end up dead. All sense of proportionality has gone in the US. If you can live with that, then so be it. But I struggle with your values.

Do you really think punching a cop should be punishable by death?
    Do you really think someone breaking into your house should also be punishable by death?

I would argue not. At least, not always.

Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-06-2010 at 10:10 AM.

I wouldn't advise anyone coming into my house uninvited. I don't believe in capitol punishment if that is what you mean. I think, it is very sad to have to punish someone to 20 years for rape, but, if you have ever been in that situation, it probably isn't still enough, it isn't just the act, it is what it does to one's mind & life; I think it is very sad to punish anyone in taking years from their lives and those of their families, their loved ones, their kids, but you can't do around hurting others and expect to receive nothing. What if it were you. Your family.

I don't see how if someone is armed with a gun and pointing it at someone how, you can run and get the gun squad. Time is of the essence in saving another's innocent life. I would protect those I love with my own. So, it would help to have a cop with a gun who can help, not hear him say, " I will be back."

It is a sad world we live in, not enough of people who care enough, too many people too strongly adversed opinionated, too many shortages of so much that so many needs.

Where and how do we find that fine line to make it all work for everyone? I struggle with that.

I hate it when I ride past the bridges and see the homeless. Yet, I cannot turn my head away like so many others, and go blind, their is something inside of me that has to help.

I wish more people were like me, because then, others would get off my back.
    Last edited by Cookie; 12-06-2010 at 11:16 AM.

One point you got to remember Ian, is here, if the cops don't have guns, then, only the criminals will. What then?

Your cops should at least carry stun guns. They are very effective.

Just a note:

DO you realize how busy our " gun squad" would be? They would quit and go flip burgers at Mickey 'd's.
    Last edited by Cookie; 12-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Cookie. But like it or not, legalizing guns makes them more available. In England, I have NEVER seen a gun. That's right. You heard me. The first gun I saw was in Africa and, now I'm here, I see them everywhere. So there just isn't the level of gun crime you have here. Because if police find a gun on you, in your house or in your car you are arrested.

So, people do not die in England from getting shot. Unless they are farmers or victims of farmers.

People there get knifed, or punched or whacked with a bat. All very nasty but these attacks RARELY kill.

People are murdered here in high numbers because guns are legal and Americans are not as clever as the Canadians. So when they see a burglar they shoot him. Or if someone shouts at them, they shoot him. Or if someone punches them, they shoot him. Get my drift?

I wonder where all the guns in Mexico come from?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-06-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Every well dressed woman who goes shopping for a new handbag, knows to make sure it compliments well with her stun gun accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    The 45 is too bulky for a car gun - kicks too hard for a good second shot at the pumped up ex- con with 400 tatoo's that wants to practice dismembering you and chaining your daughter in his basement for a year or 2.

Also the 45 would likely pass through the guy and kill grandma down the block.
    Better at home.

I load the 380's with expensive rounds that mushroom into something that would stop a rhinocerous. Hard to go into the K-mart with a 45 in your pocket too.
    I'm glad I found this out...
    I guess the ambidextrous levers and getting the gun beveled for faster clip insertion was a waste of time...
    Now that I know the recoil is to much for fast shooting....
    I wish someone told me earlier....

Darn now that I know the gun is so big I'll stop using that concealed carry holster I have....
    I really thought people didn't notice....

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    A nice .25 colt automatic is good too. Cell phone- left pocket, Colt- right pocket. Perfect balance.
    .25 is a nice small caliber sometimes known for having people shot with it get mad and beat the heck out of the shooter....

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I think the English carried canes with a sharp point and a pistol hidden in the handle. That gave you choices.

A drywall saw with a derringer in the handle would be a fine middle ground.

While they call in for reinforcements Charlie and Camilla look a little scared...

They do not look scared Redwood, just angry. The punches were about to start flying.

No-one got shot that day.

Because we regulate guns.

Like you should do here. Man Up America.

Well, the way their knuckles look white kind of speak volumes to me, plus, she looks concerned Ian. And, rightfully so. She looks like she could jump out of that seat, look at her other hand, too. She is holding on, just holding on. Not knowing what is to come.

I feel for her.
    Last edited by Cookie; 12-11-2010 at 08:25 PM.

[QUOTE=Redwood;280854]While they call in for reinforcements Charlie and Camilla look a little scared...

Looks like there royal whities need changing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    They do not look scared Redwood, just angry. The punches were about to start flying.

No-one got shot that day.

Because we regulate guns.

Like you should do here. Man Up America.
    No Ian it looks like they shat themselves!
    No Doubt about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Do you really think punching a cop should be punishable by death?
    Do you really think someone breaking into your house should also be punishable by death?
    Kill 'em all and let god sort it out.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

No disrespect Ian, but your country's past is as violent as ours.