Winterizing - other than pipes ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Kstuart

Reaction score
Hello,

I received some good advice in another thread, on winterizing my house while I am away for an extended time. I will likely have a local plumber drain the water, and put RV antifreeze in the traps and appliances.

But what other effects might occur due to the house being frozen ? What about bottles of liquids ? And are there any other potential problems ?

Thanks !

PS There is no sheet rock or plaster, it's entirely wood construction. And there is no furnace system, only a wood stove and oil-filled radiator heaters (can freezing cause problems to them).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
OF course "bottles of liquid" can freeze if they get cold enough. ANYTHING will "freeze" at the right temperature, but water is the only material that expands when it freezes and the expansion is what causes the pressure which breaks things. Everything else just 'shrinks" and gets "hard".

Kstuart

Reaction score
If I take off the caps of bottles of liquid - like shampoo - is that sufficient to allow the expansion of the liquid ? Or will the freezing liquid expand horizontally, even if the top is open ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks