New to the Forum; First Post; Distance Allowed for Mobile Home Feeder Wire

Users who are viewing this thread

kailor

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post of many to come. I'm a fairly handy DIY'er. These internet forums are so helpful in learning and saving money, but most importantly, making well-informed decisions. Well, so much for blowing sunshine!

I'm installing a mobile home on some property I own. Here's the skinny:
Feeder wire is aluminum 4/0, 4/0, 2/0, #4.
240v single-phase
Service load in the mobile home is 200A.

The Voltage Drop Calculators on the internet seem to vary between each one. Keeping the voltage drop less than 3%:

Q: What is the max distance that I can run the feeder wire (I will NOT be upsizing or downsizing this feeder wire) from the service pole without the lights blinking everytime the heat or AC comes on? What would be the max distance that you as a professional would run if this was your project to obtain proper electrical service?

Q: Code here in North Alabama requires schedule 40 gray PVC conduit when above ground. What size diameter conduit should I use or should I just go with direct burial when below ground?

Jetlag

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post of many to come. I'm a fairly handy DIY'er. These internet forums are so helpful in learning and saving money, but most importantly, making well-informed decisions. Well, so much for blowing sunshine!

I'm installing a mobile home on some property I own. Here's the skinny:
Feeder wire is aluminum 4/0, 4/0, 2/0, #4.
240v single-phase
Service load in the mobile home is 200A.

The Voltage Drop Calculators on the internet seem to vary between each one. Keeping the voltage drop less than 3%:

Q: What is the max distance that I can run the feeder wire (I will NOT be upsizing or downsizing this feeder wire) from the service pole without the lights blinking everytime the heat or AC comes on? What would be the max distance that you as a professional would run if this was your project to obtain proper electrical service?

Q: Code here in North Alabama requires schedule 40 gray PVC conduit when above ground. What size diameter conduit should I use or should I just go with direct burial when below ground?

1- You dont have to worry about the voltage drop because the code wont allow you to put the service pole more than 30 ft from the mobile home
Nec 550 .32 (a)
2- The 4/0 4/0 2/0 #4 is use-2 called alumiflex mobile home feeder. It is for direct burial . Use a short 2" pvc to go down from the disconnect on the pole to 18" below grade , and another pvc 2" 18 below grade to come up at the mobile home . Use the pvc to run to the mobile home panel . Most places allow the feeder to be burried 18 " but some require 24 " . You can run the pvc all the way if you want but dont have to underground. If you dont have a lot of experience with this and you have a lot of 90 deg bends in the conduit ,I would use 2 1/2 '' pvc instead of 2 " , it is very hard to install the 4/0 in 2 '' pvc . The 2 1/2 will slide over and glue to a 2 " that runs up into the panel inside so you dont have to cut out for a bigger pipe . you also need to slide the conduit and fittings over the wire one piece at a time , this is actually against the code but you will never get the cables in if you run all the conduit first and try to pull the wire through

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks