Renovate old well

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkMCM

Reaction score
I have an old well on my property and am trying to remove the old pump. I have knocked all bolts/nuts off and still can't get the flange? off.

How should I proceed from this point?

I have removed 4 bolts that allowed me to elevate the flange you see elevated in the second picture. 4 more bolts on the larger flange under that and nothing seems loose. All piping has been cut free.

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0628.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well I am not familiar with that pump, but it looks like it should be in a museum. I think it is a pump jack type. The rod goes all the way to the bottom and works up and down like a windmill. If so, then it also has 2” galv pipe down the well and it is going to be heavy. The deeper the heavier. You may have all the bolts out and it is just so heavy it feels like it is still bolted down. Probably going to need to lift the whole thing and take the pipe loose below the head. There maybe another flange bolted underneath the head. Jacking it up is a good way to lose a toe or finger. I suggest a good pump hoist.

MarkMCM

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Does the square plate sitting on the ground in the second picture remain in the ground? Is it attached to the casing? It is hard for me to visualize what stays and what is lifted up.

The 2" galvanized making it heavy enough to seem still attached makes perfect sense. If that is the only thing holding it down, could I hook onto it with a front end loader, lift it, and remove the galvanized piece by piece?

Thanks,

Mark

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing the whole thing comes up. You might be able to lift it with a front end loader, clamp the pipe below, and remove the head assembly. But the 2" pipe is probably going to be in 21' lengths below that. It depends on how deep it is. It could have 5 or 10 of those 21' length pipes under the head. It might also just be a 5' piece but I doubt it. I think if it were shallow, they would not have used that type of pump. The pump jack is different from the old ones I have seen. The ones I have seen where always over 100' deep. We would remove the head, pull the rods, then pull the 2" pipe.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Save that pump jack - the internals should be good as they are in oil. Someone would pay a good piece of change for it.

With a good pipe clamp [2] , you can lift it in 10 or 12 foot sections, according to your loader.

The rods should come out with some bouncing with the loader, then do the pipe. Or as the above says, lift the whole rig and grind the pipe off.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
By the photos I would say it's a cylinder pump. Pulling it is not really a DYI job however if you want to attempt to pull it I suggest removing the power head then disconnecting the offset pipe at the union. With a fork lift or preferable something that can lift at least 23 feet at a time, pull all the 2" pipe and pump rods from the well and replace everything with a submersible pump and 1" or 1-1/4" drop pipe to probably the same depth. NOTE: It will be nearly impossible to locate repairs for the existing cylinder pump today!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Try about a pint of penetrating oil at the interfaces.
Very carefully driving a metal, plastic or wooden wedge a little ways into the interface will put enormous upward force on the mating surface. Wear face protection to protect against chips flying.

Maybe you can rent a taller one of these
http://www.hoistsdirect.com/wallace_tripod_crane.htm
along with a block and tackle
or this
http://www.hoistsdirect.com/electric_hoist_single_phase.htm

Somebody might even make 12 V hoist units. With proper gearing 0.15 hp can lift 550 # one foot in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks