(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: pvc pump well head

Default pvc pump well head

Hello, I want to pull my 140 foot sub up but the cap seems to be glued on. Is this possible?

If the casing and the cap is PVC, yes. Beat on it with a hammer or 2 x 4 to try to get it off, and if it doesn't come off, get a saw and cut it off just below the bottom edge of the cap. The nbuy a regualr cap for the OD of the casing. They are held on with bolts. Or use a sanitary seal for the ID of the casing.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Well Drilling/Service justwater's Avatar

so there is just a regular slip (glue style) cap on well casing with 2 holes drilled in it.. one for pump line and one for wire? remember someone needs to be pulling up on the pump line (should move freely if its just going through a drilled hole in the cap and is sitting on a coupling or 90 degree fitting) while another person taps up on the cap... or else you're trying to tap the cap up against the weight of the pump. if it was done like this and the cap is glued on, whoever installed this was a real pinhead. i've seen pumps installed like this before, but the installers were smart enough not to glue the cap so you could pull up on the pump line and tap it off. and i agree, i'd feel better putting it back in using a well seal.

Quote Originally Posted by justwater View Post
    so there is just a regular slip (glue style) cap on well casing with 2 holes drilled in it.. one for pump line and one for wire? remember someone needs to be pulling up on the pump line (should move freely if its just going through a drilled hole in the cap and is sitting on a coupling or 90 degree fitting) while another person taps up on the cap... or else you're trying to tap the cap up against the weight of the pump. if it was done like this and the cap is glued on, whoever installed this was a real pinhead. i've seen pumps installed like this before, but the installers were smart enough not to glue the cap so you could pull up on the pump line and tap it off. and i agree, i'd feel better putting it back in using a well seal.
    That's only for a well with no pitless adapter but, if the water line/drop pipe was visible, I believe anyone wanting to pull their submersible pump would lift the pipe to get the cap off instead of lifting the cap to pull the pump as he said he wants to.

And since he didn't mention any water line through the cap, my money is on him having a pitless adapter and no water line or electric line through this casing cap.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I don't know why some drillers are compelled to glue the cap on. Maybe to save a few bucks or perhaps to insure a callback when something goes wrong.

Gbyall