putting hot water into a pot filler (single valve)

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm wondering why pot filler faucets all are spec'd for Cold Water Only. I would like to run mixed water through one of these. I would add a mixer and forget about the single valve on the pot filler.

Obviously I could contact all the manufacturers and ask them about running various temperatures through the potfiller, but...

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this question beforehand.
What if anything could make it a bad idea for mixed water to be run through a spout sold as "For Cold Water Only".
Mixed water might be quite hot at times, so a limit stop could be added too.

The purpose of this effort is to have my very own remote-mixer wall-mount kitchen faucet.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>I'm wondering why pot filler faucets all are spec'd for Cold Water Only. I would like to run mixed water through one of these. I would add a mixer and forget about the single valve on the pot filler.<<<

I think it might be a safety thing, you don't supposed to drink hot water unless it is above 140deg which most waters are not set at :confused:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thank you !

This makes it "official" ; it's the only reason anyone ever gives me. So, it's not a valve thing. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

Next challenge is getting my woman to cooperate with NOT using hot water for topping up pots. She is a foreigner so some things take time to explain. Or, use an Instant Hot Tank for topping up pots. I haven't attached it yet, and we've never had one so we don't even know how much it will come in handy.

I may put hot water into one spout designated for cleaning only, perhaps a handspray on a hose. The metal spout could be cold only after all.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Actually, since the water heater "precipitates out" many items in the water, it could be "purer" than the cold water.

I agree with that, and the water is either sterile or pasteurized too. Much more efficient heating than a stove top too.

But the issue and advice about drinking hot water comes from ALUMINUM anodes. especially with a corkscrew dip tube that sends the aluminum precipitate into the outlet. Aluminum is well known as a poison with arthritis and possibly alzheimers influence.

Use a MAGNESIUM anode and a straight dip tube, flush out the tank with a ballvalve at the base regularly.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization

Looks like 140' kills most everything.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks