Users who are viewing this thread

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know, you are all for total bathtub replacement but at this time for me
this is not an option. My wife also categorically rejected the idea to use
plastic insert. So looks like my only option would be to refinish my old iron
cast bathtub.
If somebody did it could you please share your experience?
Also, could you please recommend someone who can do a good job?
I am from Newton, MA.

Thank you,

- Vitaliy

remodelingit

Reaction score
I've lived in two houses with refinished sinks and tubs- in both cases the sinks and tubs did not wear well at all- they chip easily. I haven't heard of a durable method/product that is impervious to chipping.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
bath tub

Believe me, You won't be happy with the way it will wear.
Even if they take the overflow plate and drain fitting off, (I've even seen where they just tape around those places ) it's still just like epoxy paint and will start to peal and wear away. ugh.
I say don't do it.........

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Thank you all for the sheared experience.

Well, looks like I don’t have any option at all
or did I missed something? :eek:

- Vitaliy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Refinishing is still an option.

It's a few hundred dollars and will improve the look of it.
Like the others have said, it's not the heated glass porcelain that's done at the factory nor does it hold up as well. It may be nicer than what you have though.

Since you're not replacing tile at this time, that makes it one option.

If you were pulling the tile off, then you would be very close to the price point for lifting the old tub out and dropping in a new one. That does jump the price quite a bit.

Nancey

Reaction score
tub and tile reglazing repair

Hi,
For a refinished tub and ceramic tile, can someone else make finish repairs to a job that some else did? Not happy with the original job, and don't want to work with this company again. Don't have major problems just yet, but wonder if someone else can make repairs to paint different than what they use (if it's a problem like scratches, or blistering in the finish).
Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Vitaliy: my Aunt lived in Newton and Newtonville all life. I think she last lived on Thaxter (Street, Lane?) before she moved down to the cape to live with her son. Newton is a lovely town, and has recently been listed as one of the safest cities in the US to live in. I have been out here in Southern California for 35 years, but still miss Boston and the North Shore.

Khayes

Reaction score
We had a tub refinished around 5 years ago. It still looks as good as new. It is in our second bathroom and our kids have all moved out - so to be honest, it does not get used nearly as much these days. Anyway, we've been very happy with it.

ario

Reaction score
A friend tried the DIY kit and it looked good for about a week. With four people using the shower/tub the finish started to crack and peel in a few places. Although annoying, it still looks better than what he started with.

sbaitso

Reaction score
I had this done a year and a half ago by a professional tub refinishing company. The tub was ugly and it looked like it had suffered through a few bad DIY refinishes before we bought the house, so I had my doubts about how good it would look when finished.

My doubts were wrong however, as today it still looks great and was well worth it... hopefully it proves durable.

DG624

Reaction score
Has anyone tried polishing the porcelain instead of painting it? It is similar to stone so it can be polished. I have tried different grades of sand paper and they work similar to polishing marble.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried polishing the porcelain instead of painting it? It is similar to stone so it can be polished. I have tried different grades of sand paper and they work similar to polishing marble.
Epoxy is really a last-resort kind of restoration.

Basically the tub has to look so bad that even aged epoxy will still look "better".

Sandpaper is not a good way to cut porcelain. This is why automotive restoration and painting is so expensive, it is the skill set required to "cut" each coat, from primer to pearl finish. Sandpaper to the unskilled DIY can remove it down to the tub's metal.

A safe way to cut porcelain would be to use something like stove polish, or anything you find in the automotive section department stores, which are all mild.

Stronger cutting compound can only be purchased from automotive paint supply shops, require a polisher (not to be confused with orbital buffer), and need to be used with caution.

Reaction score
When the bathtub is old, rusted, ugly or damaged, bathtub refinishing is the wisest choice when its done with the right company. If you live in South Florida America Refinishing Pros is one of the most reputable bathtub refinishing companies in the region. Here is the website for more information: www.americarefinishingpros.com

Vitaly

AZ Reglazing
Reaction score
Website
azreglazing.com
Special material is used for covering the tile in new color and texture completely renovating the design. The best variant is epoxy paint that has perfect characteristics. In most cases a bathtub is also painted so we should cover the flooring before the painting process. For more info please check azreglazing.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks