bathtub faucet help

Users who are viewing this thread

benv

Reaction score
I've got a bathtub faucet that's been dripping. I'm trying to fix it while I have some time this weekend. I pulled the handle and unscrewed a small plastic ring I found underneath it, but the next step is a mystery. I can't seem to pull the next small piece of plastic, or the little valve stem, and the large metal ring doesn't seem to unscrew (It seems like all one big piece), or at least I got nervous about squeezing it with the pliers before it loosened. Does anyone recognize this or know what I should do? A couple pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15217781@N02/5212041609/ Thanks much!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
That large knurled ring should unscrew, it probably has crud built up on it, they normally come loose with hand power.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Whoa nelly, because you can have a VERY BAD DAY real quick here.

The plastic ring is a tension adjustment. The knurled dome is the cap which gives you access to the seats and springs. BUT...it is often stuck or frozen. AND, if you look behind there and see three small copper tubes supporting the body where that dome is.....you can snap those off so quick it will make your head spin. Then its cut-a-hole-in-the-wall time.
What to do: first, spray and soak that dome nut with white vinegar, often, and overnight. See if it will turn. DO NOT turn too hard. Next step is to slice across the dome very carefully with a fine tooth hacksaw blade..try not to damage the threads in the body. Another technique is to heat the dome nut gently with a hair dryer, or even a torch.
Dont worry about the nut...parts for that Delta valve are readily available and not expensive.

Asktom

Reaction score
I have had luck lightly tapping the knurl on the cap nut many, many, many times. Eventually I can take it off by hand, which is what you want to do. You do not want to mess up the three copper tubes mentioned above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks