(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DiY or No? Please help me decide. 350' 2hp replacement

Using these dims
    http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp
    and 87 # per cu. ft. for the PVC density I think the pipe by itself weighs 142 #.

What a hassle.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 11-28-2010 at 02:20 PM.

YAY!!!! Today my Dad and I built a 14' "pyramid" out of 2x8's etc. Anyway took about 6 hours to build the rig and get the pump out. I will post pictures soon. taking it out in one piece was great advise thank you. with 3 pulleys and the load reduction we where able to easily manage the load. Brought it up 10' at a time and ran it up over a tree and back to the ground.

My 2hp well was destroyed by a massive ball of electrical tape jammed up in the intake area!! I got a 1.5hp pump from tractor supply. I will be dropping it in tomorrow.

Congratulations! I learn something new every day. Never tried to pull the sch 80 out in one piece but have done it many times with sch 40 pvc, especially if you have a tree handy.

Be sure you use the best quality 3M tape when making those splices. And it's always a good idea to look over your wire or replace it if there's any doubt.

Wonder where all the tape came from? Did you see any evidence that it came off the drop-pipe?

Probably didn't have to go over the tree. It will bend more than you think it will. Glad you got it out. Just remember when going back to have everything pre-taped and ready. Then don't let it sit down on the last coupling too hard or it will pop it off.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

You need to buy Scotch #33 tape for the well, and their rubber splicing tape would be a good first coat too. That was a bit of china in your pump intake.

The installer saved 6 bucks on the install and cost you thousands.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 11-29-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Well Drilling/Service justwater's Avatar

Good job, wouldn't u have loved have pulled it with only ur hands rather than the tripod? Lol.

Valveman, it's not that the sch 80 will break. U have to have a descent arc or it will buckle in the connections, especially threaded MxF pipe.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Still say the could have pulled it by hand with some spring loaded grabber cogs, or a clamp block, so they could take a break.

I drill a bit undersize hole in a block of 4x6, split it on a bandsaw and hinge one end. A threaded rod and a big wing nut, or just a good C clamp makes it a quick pipe locker at any point, not just at the couplers. Works well for lowering 4" liner especially.

Well Drilling/Service justwater's Avatar

Pretty enginuitive ballvalve, a homemade quick clamp. I've also been surprised just how much a good pair of larger vice grips can hold up.

Who cares how many hundred lbs it weighs when using a tripod and probably a boat winch, block'n tackle, a come along or chain hoist hung on the tripod with a pipe hoop to hold the pipe from falling over while unscrewing the sections thing like in the video Cacher_Chick posted.

The last item on the page at the first link below. Drop pipe Vicegrip (DPVG at the 2nd link). I used one for PE pipe and I'll bet I could get one to work on PVC. No shock load of 1000#. You migt be able to rent one at a tool rental place; or talk to them and then buy one and resell it to them. Maybe rent one from a pump guy.

http://www.deanbennett.com/well-accessories-page47.pdf

http://www.deanbennett.com/pipe-tools.htm

http://www.campbellmfg.com/catalog/r05.htm
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 11-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by natopotato View Post
    6 hours to build the rig and get the pump out

My 2hp well was destroyed by a massive ball of electrical tape jammed up in the intake area!! I got a 1.5hp pump from tractor supply. I will be dropping it in tomorrow.
    So 12 manhours for 350'. Could one person have done it in one long day?

1.5 hp should give you about 6 GPM. Get a pump that protects itself against reasonably foreseeable hazards.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 11-29-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justwater View Post
    Good job, wouldn't u have loved have pulled it with only ur hands rather than the tripod? Lol.

Valveman, it's not that the sch 80 will break. U have to have a descent arc or it will buckle in the connections, especially threaded MxF pipe.
    I have done
    250' setting
    static at 200'
    1.5 HP pump
    with 1 1/4" sch 80
    galv couplings
    with only one guy helping me.
    No winch or clamps, all out in one piece, and I am not that big.

I have even tested to see how much you can bend it before it breaks at the threads. As long as it is above 50 degrees, you can bend it much more than you think before it breaks.

A 200' set on 1" poly with a static of 4' and I nearly needed to push the pump down the hole. It was so hard to drag the pipe across the ground that it felt like I was pushing it down the hole.

Although I would say that it should be easier for someone who has done a few hundred pumps before. It can be risky for someone who has never seen it done. Because just one thing not set up right, and the whole thing could go south on you.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to pictures of your tripod setup.

Thanks

I have been trying to figure out where the tape came from my best guess is that it was wrapped heavily around the metal clamps holding the torque arrestor in place.

Here are some pics. I had the timbers from leftover projects and through it together with some deck screws in about an hour.

Tomorrow the project will be finished I am just waiting on a glued fitting to cure. before dropping the last 40' in to the well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good job. No torque arrestor this time.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.