concentric vent/air termination install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
hey guys, I am almost done installing my TT Solo 60. I am going to be buying a concentric vent/air kit so there is only one hole to drill through the house. I have a few questions , hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a ranch by the way.

1-) the damn thing is like 38 inchs long and it only has to go through a 2x4 wall, can they be cut down alot???

2-) the vent will be installed 48 inchs away from the bedroom window BUT only 20 inchs away from the basement window. I cannot find a better location. the other side of the wall is the gas meter. Will this pass code???

thank you hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Here is a pic, red circle shows location i was thinking

Attachments

• exhaust.JPG
    exhaust.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,719

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The installation manual will show the minimum distances. The inspector may have some local restrictions, but normally abide by the manufacturer's instructions. That exhaust should also be above the snow line so it doesn't get obstructed. That may or may not be an issue for you as well. Don't know on cutting the thing down, my guess is it's probably okay, but that also should be defined in the instructions.

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, it is at the 18 inch min off the grd, so thats good. But no one mentions about basement windows. It will be to costly and to much work for me to go through the roof. I guess I will call the town tomorrow and see what they say.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, they show minimum distances from any openings in the installation instructions.

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
well Triangle tube says 12 inchs away any opening then online on another brand vent/air it said 4 ft. thats why the confusion

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
Ralf
Each Manufacturer and model has it's own requirements, also check distance to corner of building, in some models that can cause trouble if too close.
Good Luck
George

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
thanks guys, looks like I need to go to the roof for this one. George, you are correct. They guys at TT does not like the idea its only 2 ft away from the corner. My best bet is the roof but how the hell does rain not go down the exhuast????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. It may be 48" away from the vent, but since exhaust gases flow upward, that bedroom window should be TOO CLOSE to the vent. The measurement is usually laterally, (sideways), not on a diagonal. The basement window is okay for the same reason since it is below the vent. Can it exit through the wall around the corner. If that is where the gas meter is, then maybe the unit in the basement is too close to it. Your coaxial connection may be strictly a through the wall unit, and a roof top co-ax would be designed so rain does not enter it.

Last edited:

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i appreciate the help. HJ, the other side is the gas meter and the other wall will have a porch there in the future :( SO,,,, looks like I am going on the roof and return this concentric vent. I will have a vent and intake up top and 180 degree fittings on them and also screened. I will read up on the manual to see how far apart they need to be from eachother. I can go up to 100 ft so I will be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do not give the URL of the directions, but doesn't it require a drain tap at the bottom to remove condensation? IF so that would also take care of the rainwater, if installed properly.

Gnfanatic

Reaction score
Hey HJ, thanks for your help. I re-read the entire instructions again and it does not state anything about a drain tap. It stated thousand times about using aproved primer and cement on all joints. What you are saying makes sense but then it will need periodic maintenance and I would need to seal the threads, inspector might not like that. I was planning to do this tomorrow morning before the blizzard comes and now everything will be on hold :( I cannot take a chance on this and it sure as hell does not sound right in my mind. The rain water and condensation need to go elsewhere. I am actually wondering if they feel the boiler will burn it up?? but the piping might not be pitched properly then!! HJ, what is a "roof top co-ax"??? Is it a 180 degree elbow like I see on other roofs??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks