Elbow to p-trap space

Users who are viewing this thread

javedikian

Reaction score
I am replacing all the pipe in the slab under my shower up to the waste line. The reason, there were two 45 degree elbows that were used to vertically align the pipe with the shower drain. However, I am installing a new Kerdi shower and the 1.5" before hitting the first elbow puts the drain too high. So, I have reassembled (dry fit only for now) using 22.5 degree elbows and I also put a 1 inch height between the 90 elbow and the p-trap. Is it OK to add a little height here to lower the p-trap? I don't know how else I can get drain centered and keep it low.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use "street" 1/16 bends and you will NOT need pieces of pipe between them and the trap. But, if you can "adjust" the trap, why not just do it correctly and MOVE the trap's elbow so the trap is NOT offset from the drain? Which is what I, and most plumbers, would do.

javedikian

Reaction score
OK, I will look into those. Ideally, I would move the elbow further back but it was difficult to even cut out the old elbow because it goes back so far under the slab. I don't think I can dig out much more without having to break up the concrete. I would like to get rid of the spacer in between the elbow and p-trap but is it against code if I end up having to keep it?

javedikian

Reaction score
I figured out a new plan with the fewest parts and joints. Also, I forgot to mention one other snag, there is a cold water supply line running through the middle of this hole, although I could cut and re-rout. I want to extend the wate pipe 8" across to the other side of the hole, then directly into the 90 elbow and p-trap. Then I have the p-trap rotated back going in the other direction (almost a 180) which gives me a straight shot up to and aligned with the drain. This seems to be OK. Is there a limit to the degree you should rotate the p-trap on the 90 arm?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given a picture it might be easier to make a recommendation.
You cannot have soldered copper joints under a slab so rerouting the supply line might be more involved than you think.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
cacher_chick:

>>>You cannot have soldered copper joints under a slab<<<

Most areas silver solder is perfectly legal.

javedikian

Reaction score
Here is a picture

Is this configuration OK?
IMG_0016.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
silver solder/brazing IS legal, but since it detempers the copper AND fittings, it is NOT a good idea if it can be avoided. You can rotate the "P" trap any direction you want to, that is why it has the "swivel" connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks