union trap fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

mrd

Reaction score
I'm roughing in a tub, and have a schedule 40 waste & overflow assembly. The bathroom sits above a tall conditioned crawlspace, and I thought using a trap with slip joints would give the homeowner the option of clearing the trap if it ever needs it.

I have a sched40 union trap like this:
21Ft39dmPwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm trying to find the best way to connect it to the tub drain.

The only thing I came up with is using part of a thin plastic union trap, and adapting it from and back to sched 40 before the trap.. or replacing the whole trap w/ a thin plastic one, and using adapters before and after the trap. Is there a way to do this with all schedule 40?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get a schedule 40 W/O assembly, but that would glue into the trab, eliminating the ability to actually take it apart. Glue a spigot trap adapter into the trap, and use tubular W/O

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NEVER use a union trap on a tub. There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to ever take it apart, and the union nut can cause more problems than it solves, if for no other reason that if the homeowner DOES take it apart, the nut may become distorted or crack.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In addition,
1. The trap SELDOM is where the stoppage is, and
2. The codes call for the trap to be "self scouring" so the stoppage does NOT occur there.
3. When I clear a tub drain, I want the trap to be in place so I can have water in the tub to wash away whatever is in the drain when I dislodge it.
4. I HATE jobs where the homeowner has taken things apart to make it "easier" for me to do my job. Usually my first task is to reassemble it so I can determine what, and where, the problem is so I can do my job properly.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I personally would not use one of those unless you would be able to have good access to that cap. In the event a cable gets used in it, that hole where that cap is, is the first place that a cable will go and get stuck in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "hole" in the cleanout is too small for the size snake you SHOULD use, and it will prevent the proper sized snake from being used from the tub. FORGET about traps with locknuts and/or cleanouts. We have survived for decades without them, and someone has suffered the consequences in the few instances where they were used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks