Low Pressure Out of GE Smartwater Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Saddly Sears and GE and Polar star units are made cheep and for the most part do not have a long life... Corp would rather have you buy a new unit every few years and fill the junk yard or land fill...
Fixing is an idea but... fix now and replace in 1-2 years because of other breaks?

There is a way of using the tank that you have and most likely most if not all of the resin and with the changing of the valve and brine set up having a good working unit for much longer than the GE...

Phillbo

Reaction score
There is a way of using the tank that you have and most likely most if not all of the resin and with the changing of the valve and brine set up having a good working unit for much longer than the GE...

And the the spinkter says 'what'?

Share the love.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Meaning that you could/can buy a clamp on tank adapter for your non industry standard (clamp on) resin tank that has an industry standard 2.5" x 8 thread opening for industry standard control valves, and swap your GE for an Autotrol, Fleck or Erie control valve. IIRC you would need a new distributor tube and possibly brine line and if you have a cabinet model, you can't reinstall the softener's cover. I used to do things like that for customers 20 yrs ago but quit when you can buy a whole new softener online for about what swapping control valves costs.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Are there any truly good units available for 400-500 dollars ?

After pulling the top filter out and replacing, my pressure has returned to normal but I don't think the system is working as it should .. shower water just does not have the soft 'feel'. How do i test it ?

Phillbo

Reaction score
by 'not through the salt' do you mean i need to remove all the salt from the Brine (salt) Tank before adding the 3 gallons of water and running the regens ? Or do I add the water by pouring it in the top of the black tube that houses the Brine System ?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
by 'not through the salt' do you mean i need to remove all the salt from the Brine (salt) Tank before adding the 3 gallons of water and running the regens ? Or do I add the water by pouring it in the top of the black tube that houses the Brine System ?
I would leave the salt in and adding 3-4 gallons either over the salt at the edge or down the brine well.. either way will work.
But I am not sure why one would when the GE/Sears unit adds water at the start of the reg cycle.
If you where to hold off on water use for 5 hours and did 2 back to back regens that most likely will clean up the resin.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Phillbo, it means pour the water into the water in the bottom of the salt tank (down the brine well, where the float is, or any other way you can but you don't remove the salt because you don't have to). BTW, you add it again after the first regeneration also.

If you pour it down through the salt, you can cause a salt bridge as the salt above the water line dries out later and sticks together; especially with the use of pellets but with crystal also.

I would leave the salt in and adding 3-4 gallons either over the salt at the edge or down the brine well.. either way will work.
But I am not sure why one would when the GE/Sears unit adds water at the start of the reg cycle.
If you where to hold off on water use for 5 hours and did 2 back to back regens that most likely will clean up the resin.
All softeners add the volume of refill (pre or post regeneration) water based on the lbs of salt to be used per regeneration.

The three gallons = 9 lbs, plus whatever his dose is currently gets him very close to 15 lbs for his usually not much more than 1 cu ft cabinet model softner.

Next to none are set to use the max of 15 lbs/cu ft of resin. So when a softener has not been regenerated properly and there is hard water breakthrough/leakage, you need to regenerate the full cuft volume of resin to it's maximum K of capacity, hence the max of 15 lbs per cuft of resin twice must be used or you don't regenerate all the resin back to max capacity. And if not then later the softener is prone to hard water breakthrough/leakage although it is operating properly.

If he doesn't add the 3 gals (= 9 lbs) the softener only uses whatever lbs of salt (K of capacity) the control valve is programmed to use and he doesn't regenerate all the resin back to maximum capacity.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice !! I'll give the double regen a try as soon as possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks