Intermittent failure of pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry.Brady

Reaction score
Our well system is about 12 years old and we started experiencing intermittent pump failures about 4-6 months ago. The pump cuts out or doesn't start and it most often happens in the mornings which I presume would be the pumps failure to start the first time the pressure switch turns it on.

When it's been out, I've checked that the pressure switch was sending power down to the pump, but that's the extent of what I have done.

Each time it fails, I can get it to start again by tripping the breaker (or the switch near the pressure tank in the basement), leaving the power off for 10-30 seconds and then flipping it back on. It takes at most 3-4 attempts at doing this and then it fires up and runs fine.

It's failing about once a week and I'm wondering what, if anything, else I can do to help diagnose or check on the pump before calling a pro (I'm in SE Michigan) out to pull the pump. I've been waiting because I know that once the pump is out someone is going to recommend replacing it and that'll be expensive. Our well is deep: 120'.

On the other hand, I don't want to be left without water on or near the upcoming holidays!

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

Jerry

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
intermittent pump failures
The pump cuts out or doesn't start
It takes at most 3-4 attempts at doing this and then it fires up and runs fine.
It's failing about once a week
If you measure the voltage across the closed switch contacts for all switches that are in series with the pump while the pump is running you can gauge the 'health' of the switch contacts.
Less than 30 millivolts AC at rated current is good, more than 100 mV AC is bad.

For integrity of all the wiring and the connections look for less than a 5% voltage change to the pump when it's running vs. when it's off. Measure this change as close to the pump as you can get.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The overload in the motor is tripping. It has an automatic reset after it cools down. Sometimes turning the power off and back on gives it time to cool down and it resets itself. Check the amperage of your motor. Pumps are designed to last about 7 years, so you are running on borrowed time anyway. Get ready for a new pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks