Toilet Clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Rickcusaf

Reaction score
My fiance flushed a few tampons down the toilet and now the water drains incredibly slowly. I've tried using an Auger, Liquid Lightning, and pulled the toilet off to snake it from the back too. It looks like the clog is down in the pipe itself, but I'm not 100% sure how to check. I tried pouring water directly into the pipe and the water level stayed the same height. Also ,my auger is only 15' so I'm looking for ideas on what else I can do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water stays the same in the drain? Or in the bowl?
Now you know why tampons come with bags in the box for disposing in the trash.

Rickcusaf

Reaction score
The water level stays the same in the drain. When the bowl is attached the water drains slowly from the bowl.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First of all, never try to clear a clog with chemicals. They don't work and could be hazardous if you or a plumber came in contact with them. It would appear that the clog is in the drain line and in that case, you will need to have a plumber auger the drain completely to the street. Do not even consider renting a snake for a DIY job. These seldom are capable of clearing a clog and the larger ones are dangerous for an inexperienced person to handle. Even pros get hurt with them sometimes. I trust you and yours have learned a lesson about what should and should not be flushed.

Rickcusaf

Reaction score
Yup, I didn't know she had been flushing them until she asked me if that might be the problem. Looks like it's not the drain. The grinder pump light turned on after my last post and my guess is some of that junk got stuck in either the blade or the impeller.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The grinder pump?
Yeah, that would have been good information to have.
I would run down to the hardware store and pick up a gas mask, that stuff can smell.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Tampons or white mice are awful!! And the plastic injector things that help stick them in are bad news too! I work on a college campus. When you open up a lid to a sump pump pit, there will be hundreds of those things floating on the surface. Roaches use them for pontoon boats. There are usually small alcohol bottles floating on the surface too. When you open the door of an equipment room up and there are a lot of roaches running around aimlessly on the floor, you know you got problems! They can't swim. Your girl should learn how to fix it. That will teach her not to do that again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the pump light is on, that could be the reason the pipe is full of water. AND, if the pipe is full of water the toilet will either NEVER flush, or flush very slowly. Your "15 foot" snake is too pathetic when it comes to clearing a main drain line, but the whole problem might be solved once the pump is working properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks