Galvanized Main to CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

trinculo54

Reaction score
Well I am starting my next major project of replacing all of the old galvanized water lines in the house. I have started to run CPVC from the main to the water heater and have temporarily tied into the rest of the cold water. Before I get too far I have a few questions.

1. The main itself is galvanized, while I would like to replace it now; that will have to wait for another time. Right now the main is ½†galvanized and I have placed a ½†metal threaded CPVC connection with about 3†of ½ and then transitioned to ¾â€. I have read on these boards that CPVC is not comparable to copper…meaning that ¾†CPVC is more like ½†copper and 1†CPVC is like ¾†copper and that ½†CPVC is not recommended.
My thought was to use a ½†copper transaction at the Main then size up to ¾†using copper and then switch over to ¾†CPVC and run that throughout the house.

2. Should I look at running a dual line system? I have the room and CPVC is fairly inexpensive. Does this really make that much of a difference since my main is so small?

3. Back to the sizing issues; when I transfer to the fixtures should I size it to ¾†copper and then down to ½†copper to make the connections or am I safe just reducing down to the ½†CPVC for the last foot or so and then making the connection.

I know a lot of information, but any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks…you guys have always been helpful!

trinculo54

Reaction score
While I think copper might be the way to go, I like working with the CPVC, with as much work as I am doing on the house I would like to keep things simple. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not just do what you want to do. No one here is likely to support CPVC over copper, and since it's your house and you're paying the bill do it your way.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
cpvc

1- All plumbing pipes are measured as inside diameter. 1/2" copper is the same as 1/2" cvpc is the same as 1/2" galv. inside......
2- Get the 3/4" as close to the main as you can.......
3- Keep the hot and cold service lines 3/4" right to the last two fixtures then split to 1/2".
4- Then when you run a new water service you will just have to connect.

I would do copper..........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sizes

Plumber1. you are correct up to a point. Copper and steel pipes, (schedule 40, since sch. 80 has a thicker wall but the same o.d.), are measured by their i.d.'s. But CPVC, PEX, some polyethylene, etc. are CTS, which means their outside diameter is the same as copper tubing, but since the walls are thicker than copper, the inner bore is reduced in size. AND, if you remember your geometry, the greatest reduction in size happens when you reduce the diameter of a circle, which means that "slight reduction" in size can produce a big reduction in capacity.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll be just fine with CPVC . It's good pipe . Run as much 3/4" as you can then reduce to 1/2" . Remember : When copper came out all the guys who had been running galvinized water lines said ," That stuff is CRAP ". They were wrong . CPVC is good pipe , give it a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks