Grundfos CU-301 installation help with an unknown SQE pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently had a new well pump installed by a company after the old one failed one Sunday morning.
The company installing the new pump planned on completing the installation with the Grundfos CU-301 controller and 2 gallon pressure tank. However, after I paid him for the pump installation (something over $3500.00), he now won't return my calls or even tell me the model of the pump he installed so I can get someone else to finish it.

What I know is that he installed an SQE pump, but I have no idea which one. The box I have just has the Grundfos logo on it, with no other information. The receipt I have for the work was just the installer writing "Grundfos SQE pump". But no model number.
In looking at the Grundfos installation information, they have a chart for setting things up that requires you know what pump you have. So I'm stuck.

Here are my thoughts, I'd appreciate any input you may have. My final goal is to get the new pump working with the computer controller and the 2 gallon pressure tank, and ensure that all is correct so it lasts and works properly.

Do I pay someone else to pull the pump and find the number on it? If there is a number on it?
Is there a fail-safe installation procedure I could use that would work for any SQE pump, regardless of which one I have?

Thanks in advance for any help. If anyone is experienced in these systems, and services Haymarket, Virginia I'd love to hear from you!

- Brian Hoard

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My final goal is to get the new pump working with the computer controller and the 2 gallon pressure tank, and ensure that all is correct so it lasts and works properly.

Sorry but that is not going to happen. Most pump installers have learned that they need to make a lot of money on the original installation of those variable speed type pumps, then never answer your calls again because you are going to be mad. Those things are designed to cost a lot up front and not last very long. A pump man that warranties his work knows he may have to come back and replace the controller and/or the pump several times for free in the next 5 years. So they get their 3500 bucks and you will never find them again. Here is an example of emails I get everyday on this subject.

"Hi Cary.
Well, the CU301 was running well when you and I last talked, but last week and again this morning the water pressure felt low to me. This morning I ran downstairs and sure enough, just under 40 psi with just one shower running. Same symptoms as before the CU301 was replaced for the 4th time. Not looking forward to going for #5.
Thanks.
John"

As far as finding out which pump it is, you can do a pressure test. If you know how deep it is to water in your well, you can hook up a pressure gauge and a ball valve on the well head. Close the ball valve completely for a few seconds to see how much pressure the pump can build. Then subtract the depth to water in your well, and you can use a pump curve to see which pump will build that particular pressure. Get the dead head pressure and the depth to water numbers and I can help you figure out which pump it is. Then I would read a little about the CU301 from other people who have had them before you go that route. There are other ways to go and a standard type pump system would have probably cost you about 1/2 as much and would have lasted many times longer.

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, valveman. I am shocked at your news. I thought I was going the best route with this new pump. So where do I go from here? Start over with a different pump?
This is frustrating.

By the way, I used to live in Lubbock years ago. I left there in 1998 to come out to Virginia.
Small world.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would file a complaint with the state-licensing agency. If the pump man has a license, he will call you back quick and try to make it right. If he doesn’t have a license, you and/or the state should file on him to get your money back. Just do a search for “CU301” and see the problems others are having. You would be better off with a standard 3450 RPM pump than that little pump that spins 10,600 RPM. However, even that pump will last longer if you don’t use the CU301 box and control it with a pressure switch like a standard pump. You have been sold the most expensive and shortest lasting pump on the market, and now they won’t finish the job or even call you back. I wonder why many people do not trust pump guys?

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I searched for "CU301 problem" and came across another post of yours from 2008.
https://terrylove.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21661.html

I guess the good news is that I haven't already purchased the 2 gallon tank or the CU301. I just have my old pressure tank and stuff running the new pump.
What hurts is that the last pump I had installed was only 4 years ago. I found out when it died that the installer never grounded it, so the theory is we took a power surge which killed the pump. I have now had an electrician drive a grounding rod right next to the pump and grounded it there. I also had a whole-house power filter or surge protector installed which should help prevent that again.

It sounds like I should just keep my existing equipment and wait for this pump to die in about 3-4 years?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are plenty more stories, keep searching. That pump may even last longer than 3-4 years if you don't use the CU301. Power surges do get a motor ocassionally but, most pumps are destroyed by cycling on and off too much. If you have an irrigation system that doesn't exactly match the output of your pump, I will bet it was cycling that destroyed your last pump. Here is a link to a couple of pages of threads I found with a search.
https://terrylove.com/forums/search.php?searchid=453405&pp=

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
How long ago was the pump installed? What have you been doing for water since then? Is there any way you can physically go to the installers office and find out? Well guys are notorious for running on their own schedule, perhaps your is just a little worse than others. Definitely try to get a face to face and if that doesn't work might try the licensing office.

The good news is that I believe that Grundfos makes a good product. You can probably get a pretty good guess at what pump you have if you know how deep your water level is and what HP your previous pump was.

I would probably skip the VFD controller unless there was a special reason to use it and go with a standard pressure tank set-up. I would just make sure that the existing tank is big enough or was not water logged.

Hate to hear that you are having problems getting the job done. Hopefully you can get it resolved.

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman. It appears that there are a lot of good pump guys in Texas. Go figure...
I honestly think the guy who installed my new pump is on some kind of medication that makes him nuts. When he installed things, he was a good guy, very helpful. About 60 years old at least. But when I phoned him to follow up with the rest of the install, he screamed at me like I commited some crime, told me he was having a bad day and didn't have time for me. He stopped returning my calls, and after several attempts to even find out what model he installed, he simply refuses to work with us.

He connected the new pump with my existing pressure tank, and water is working fine in the house. It's good to hear that my current set up isn't so bad after all, I guess. I do have a pretty large pressure tank, so I think that's good to keep the pump from running as much.

When they installed the new pump, I was out there watching as I like learning how things work. I watched them install the pump, then do some cussing, and pull it back up and slathered a bunch of grease all over some seal or something on the top of where the well goes in. They told me when they came out to install the computer controller, they'd replace that temporary fix with some part that it needed. They told me to come out in the front yard and make sure it wasn't wet, from time to time. That's crazy, the more I think of it. What kind of installation is that? So I think I need to get someone reputable to come out and finishe the install and make sure it's all right. I'm not happy that I paid so much for such sloppy work. I feel like I was robbed at this point.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, just take this as a lesson learned. NEVER pay for something that isn't complete. I have been asked to pay for materials or 1/2 at the start of the job, but never the full amount before work was complete. Sad as it is, there simply isn't much motivation to complete the job or finish minute tasks. Sounds like you paid for that controller and tank but never received it.

If your system is working as is I would just leave it alone. Just make sure your pressure tank is not getting water-logged. Check it every 3-4 months and add a little air if necessary. You never said if it's bladder or galvanized but most around here are non-bladder so you have to stay on top of it.

Sounds like they had trouble with the pitless adapter but I don't know much about those.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Brian, I'm just a lowly water treatment guy that knows a bunch about pitless adapters and I've done some pump work too, including installing pitless adapters, although I'm not and never have been a driller and some drillers (like Texas Wellman) say I don't know anything about pumps and should stay with softener sales but...

The guy greased up the o-ring seal in the part of the pitless inside the well casing that the drop pipe attaches to. He may have damaged it or the part that goes out through the casing; or not.

His caution to you about watching the yard for water or a wet spot means he thinks there could be a water leak just outside the casing. That can become a very serious problem because the water is under pressure and can wash out soil around the casing. You do not want that to happen.

To replace a pitless (used in freeze areas), including the part that goes through the casing from inside, he will have to dig down to it and then away from the well a ways so he can get the line from the well off that part and then to get the pitless out to replace it. He'll have to pull the pump out to do that.

That may be why he doesn't want to come back to finish the job. Or, he's just a miserable SOB that's disorganized and kicks his dog'n hollers at his wife a lot. I have known a few drillers like that.

Sue him now before he goes broke, if he isn't already and that is why he was having a "bad day".

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I just wrote the installer for the millionth time to see if they want to back up their work, and make permanent their temp install on that seal. I hope I hear from them. I have a feeling the company is good, but the old fart who I dealt with is their bad apple in the group. They have been around since 1975, and were recommended by a good friend of mine who has had good luck with them. So I'm hopeful, but we'll see how it pans out.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I recommend that you go to http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/dpormainwelcome.cfm and file a complaint. From your explaination it sounds like your pump installer should be repremanded, fined and serious compensation returned to you. Filing a complaint with the state and a certified letter to the pump installer giving him/her 15 business days to rectify the problem and the pitless adapter problem as well. NOTE: A leaking pitless adapter through the casing can allow contaminates and sedimates to enter your well!

I'm a Virginia licensed well driller/pump installer and I always dislike it when I hear when a contractor chooses to less than professional work.

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Thank you for the link, Porky. I am still not getting any response from this company, and I paid top dollar for the work they did, so having to pay someone else to come finish things hurts. I will go to that link and see if that helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks