Limited in local water heater selection....what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
I am needing to replace my leaking State Water Heater. I live in a smaller community and it looks like my GAS water heater options are Richmond, Whirlpool and Kenmore? I can't really find anything positive online or on these forums about any of these brands. So what to do? I read that Richmond is a part of Rheem and that Rheem is good?

The last Richmond I had was an ELECTRIC in my old house and I hated that thing. Even though it said 50 gallon it had a very short supply of warm water. Also it could constantly be heard making popping/sizzling noises.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As you say, Richmond is made by Rheem, and the Rheem/GE is an excellent choice. The Bradford-White is preferred by many and would be a good option as well. Kenmore appliances are made by many companies for Sears, so it's hard to say what manufacturer is currently the low bidder. Whirlpool is the worst choice you could make. See the lengthy thread on them. Since this is a product that should last you for 10 or more years, and is a fairly major purchase, if you have to travel to a larger town to find a quality heater, it would be worth the time and effort. If you are dealing with a local plumber, he should be able to order anything you want and have it delivered.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do NOT compare gas and electric water heaters. Water temperature from an electric is STRICTLY controlled by the settings of the TWO thermostats, and any heating noises are caused by the elements, NOT the tank, and are independent of who made the heater. As a practical matter, you are flipping a coin with ANY of them, since they are only being made by about three companies, regardless of how many brands you look at. You can get a "good" heater, or a "clunker", regardless of your choice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That isn't an outrageous price assuming he will take the old heater away for you. While it isn't a rocket science job, it does take time and effort and there may be some pipe fitting to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks