Pressure Switch with auto low pressure cut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Square D FSG2J24M4CP Water Pump Pressure Switch with Low-Pressure Cutoff for the pressure tank connected to my well pump. We have a very deep well (420') with a high static water level 40' but low recovery (2 gpm). We like high water pressure so we wanted a switch that was set at 40/60 (though I'm aware that these can be adjusted). I was advised to get one with a manual low pressure cut off that would turn off the pump in the event the pressure dropped too low from using the water up faster than the well could recover it. I found a pressure switch that had the manual low pressure cut-off lever on the side of it, but it was preset at 20/40. In looking for a 40/60 version, the one shown above is the only one I've found. It is preset at 40/60 and is supposed to cut off automatically if the pressure drops below 40. Is it safe to assume that the pump would be turned back on automatically when the pressure reached 40 again? Any suggestions as to how this switch will work in my given situation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
How many hp is your pump? Thanks.

It's a Myers Predator 1 HP. It was selected by the guy we hired to have the well drilled and he installed the pump. (I was later told by others that a 1/2 HP was actually the proper size for a 2 gpm well, but it's in there so we'll make it work.)

another voice said:
You have to manually hold down the lever until the pressure goes above low set point..
The only picture I can find of the product I'm considering does not show a lever, hence my concern. The plumbing store does not carry this product so I have to order it online.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yeah, I get 0.54 hp.

Head= 420 feet
Req'd pressure is 50 PSI
then, equivalent head = head
+ (pressure x 2.307)
Equivalent Head= 535 feet
Req'd flow rate = 2 GPM
Then,
Req'd Power @ 100% eff. 0.27 hp
Power @ 50% efficiency= 0.54 hp
Power @ 20% efficiency= 1.35 hp

So with 1 hp you can get 4 GPM.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and the specs on the water flow from the pump. I'll check by with the plumbing place. I suspected the sales rep didn't know what he was talking about when he said it wasn't available. Next time I'll talk the another salesman who seems to be the one at the company who is most competent and has been very helpful in the past.

Thanks again.

TI

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have several GRAINGERS low pressure cut out switches, probably made by square D. 50- 70 preset, 40-60, and Perhaps some other presets. Even your 20 - 40 can usually be tweaked to do almost 40 to 60.

I have a few 2 gpm wells, and while the low pressure cut out is essential, its a pain to be always re-setting it. It will not restart the pump.

You should have a Franklin pumpsaver-pumptec, which has a adjustable reset time when it senses low water. I'll look for some links and edit them in here...

I don't know this store, but use it as a start point.

http://store.thepumpwarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-Pressure-Switches/Categories

.http://store.thepumpwarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-9/Franklin-Pumptec/Detail

Heres the Graingers link - everything in the world here:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pressure-switches/switches/electrical/ecatalog/N-8gnZ1z11l12

Note that if you have a Franklin 3 wire pump control box with a QD [quick disconnect] box, you can buy the $115 pumptek and plug it directly into the box. Incredible insurance policy for the cost.

If you have any large needs, however, start budgeting for a 2 or 3,000 gallon storage tank.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the pressure drops below 40 psi and the pump shuts OFF, (meaning there is no further water flow), HOW is the pressure going to rise above 40 psi to turn the switch on? There is no way for that to happen, which is why it has to be reset manually.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the pressure drops below 40 psi and the pump shuts OFF, (meaning there is no further water flow), HOW is the pressure going to rise above 40 psi to turn the switch on? There is no way for that to happen, which is why it has to be reset manually.
Maybe somebody makes an auto reset that waits for some interval of time or uses some other method to decide when to try again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks