brine valve parts diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

JOMTMON

Reaction score
I have a culligan water softener and when I removed the brine valve to clean it my helpful 7 year old assistant took apart the bottom of the valve so I am not sure of the correct order for the parts. This is a mechanical valve with most of the parts at the bottom of the tube controlled by a long rod with a float on it. The pieces in the bottom consist of a small washer/seat, a piece resembling a tiny three legged table, & a tiny plastic ball. These pieces are all in a small chamber held in by the rod coming down from the float that has what looks like a upside down golf tee. Is there a diagram somewhere showing the correct order of these parts. I think I got them correct because the float will shut off the water but I'm not sure which direction and order the small ball & the "table" piece go. Any ideas?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh I have been here before,
Let me look at the one that I have out side and see how that works.

Ok, I done the check,

The little table that you talk about in the bottom of the culligan brine assembly has the legs up. and the ball under that little table.

Last edited:

JOMTMON

Reaction score
still confused

Barney: thanks for the link however none of the ones shown are similar enough to mine to provide the needed info. I'll save the link for future reference, thanks.
Akpsdvan: Thanks for going thru all that trouble. I assembled it as you described however the little ball sits down on a rubber washer and when the softener goes into the part of the cycle to suction the brine solution, it prevents it from happening. Am I missing a part between the ball and the gasket to prevent this and what is the purpose of the ball in this position. I know the valve must allow the brine solution to be drawn out and then refill the tank to a certain level (controlled by the float) for the next regeneration. I understand how the water flow is stopped, just not the role the ball and "table" play in this whole operation.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The ball is an air check, it floats on the water until the water level gets down to where the ball is sucked into a socket shutting off the flow of water (there isn't any water that can be sucked out by then) and that stops air suction. That leaves some water, a couple inches, in the bottom of the tank.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Barney: thanks for the link however none of the ones shown are similar enough to mine to provide the needed info. I'll save the link for future reference, thanks.
Akpsdvan: Thanks for going thru all that trouble. I assembled it as you described however the little ball sits down on a rubber washer and when the softener goes into the part of the cycle to suction the brine solution, it prevents it from happening. Am I missing a part between the ball and the gasket to prevent this and what is the purpose of the ball in this position. I know the valve must allow the brine solution to be drawn out and then refill the tank to a certain level (controlled by the float) for the next regeneration. I understand how the water flow is stopped, just not the role the ball and "table" play in this whole operation.

The ball is normally floating, if it will not float then it will need to be replaced.
I will see if there another one in my pile of parts and check again.
The table is a guide, gotta love some of the things that culligan came up with.............not......

JOMTMON

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded... OK... now I know how and why... & why not. Should I just go ahead and replace the brine valve assembly? If so, any recommendations on an after market brand/style I should go for or stay away from? The one I have has worked fine for about 8 years... until now, but for relatively little difference in money should I steer away from Culligan parts.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have responded... OK... now I know how and why... & why not. Should I just go ahead and replace the brine valve assembly? If so, any recommendations on an after market brand/style I should go for or stay away from? The one I have has worked fine for about 8 years... until now, but for relatively little difference in money should I steer away from Culligan parts.

Do you need to replace the brine assembly? is it broken past repair?
The culligan brine assembly controls the refill of the brine tank, so a after market from one of the others will not work, with out some other changes..
If you do need to replace the assembly there might be a used one up for sale on some the known sites that people buy and sell..

sparky73

Reaction score
Thanks! That was just the answer I was looking for Akpsdvan.

Oh I have been here before,
Let me look at the one that I have out side and see how that works.

Ok, I done the check,

The little table that you talk about in the bottom of the culligan brine assembly has the legs up. and the ball under that little table.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks