Installing new garburator, dishwasher hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

novicep

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be installing a new garburator (garbage disposal) where one currently does not exist. I have double sinks and a dishwasher. Currently the dishwasher drain is connected to the drain midway between the two sinks. My question is whether I need to move the dishwasher drain thru the garburator or can it stay where it is?

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada if that matters.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably can stay where it is, but keep in mind that when you have the disposer on, it is acting like a pump, and you might end up with crud in the drain for the DW.

The most common problem with a disposer is that its outlet is lower, and you can't make the waste go uphill. It is not uncommon to have to lower the connection in the wall to accommodate the lower height of the disposal. I'd probably just use the DW inlet on the disposal. If you don't have the proper pipe connecting the two sinks, the one with the disposal can push waste up into the other sink...it needs a baffle in that pipe to prevent that and direct the flow down the drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The dishwasher instructions should tell you NOT to connect it to the disposer, (not Disposal), drain line, but rather to the drop line from the other drain TO the tee, or into the disposer's dishwasher connection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And here is a picture of a dishwasher installed with air-gap, though I don't know if Canada has these.

sink_dw.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks