Under Sink Leaky Pipe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Frazier

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this and I hope you can help. I have a very old house, built in the 30's. I replaced all the piping below the sink and the drain pipes goeas straight into the wall with no real security. Where it goes into the wall it is not completly sealed so it has a drip leak. I tried to cover the seam with plumbers putty, it has hardened but the same leak appears! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank You,

Frazier

Bpetey

Reaction score
a picture and/or more info will be helpfull. What kind of pipe, steel, abs, pvc, cast iron? glued or threaded or nothing as you say it has no security.

Frazier

Reaction score
It is pvc going into a cast iron pipe, the cast iron is in the wall. There are no threads on the pvc, I do believe there are threads on the cast iron. That is the way it was when I replaced it. I tried silicone and plumbers putty with the same results, drip leak coming from the bottom of the connection (seam). Thank You!

Frazier

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Often you will have a galanized pipe nipple threaded into a cast iron fitting. The end thread uses a slip joint nut and rubber slip joint washer. Kitchens are notorious for desolving the lower portion of the metal pipes. You may need to replace the pipe nipple through the wall.

Plumbers putty is not used for that type of repair. Think of it as playdoh. Do you think a lump of clay is going to do much for you? You have to have sound pipe and fittings, and when you do, there will be no need for anything else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would NOT have cast iron pipe with a thread on it. It is probably galvanized steel, and if so you need a "female Marvel/De Sanko/trap adapter, (whatever they call it in your area)" to screw onto it and then the trap slides through it with a slip joint connection to seal it.

trap_adapter_brass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks