Protecting new tile floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
What do people recommend when moving a big and heavy new fridge across a 2 week old tile floor? What do people usually put down to cover it and prevent any scratching etc? Just curious what people do? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The EZ glides are great! I have never used them on grouted tile....I assume they move ok, though.
What I have done on tile floors is use "door skins". It is a piece of barely 1/8" thick luan plywood, 36 X 80 inches. Very inexpensive, you can cut it to size with an exacto knife. Use that to make a pathway to roll your dolly over.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Not at my lumber yard. They are 19 bucks with tax. It does not matter though because I found some for free. I am using nice thick drop cloth and putting some of the masonit on top of that. There will end up being a dolly used but my wife has been talking to other people and some of the other horror stories she has heard about the appliance people and the things they have done to their floors is crazy. She doesn't want it scratched or any black marks from wheels put in the grout. We just had 2 new garage doors put in and installer damaged our door jam around the garage doors. Now they are going to have to come and fix the steel casing around the door which won't be a small job. The last appliance people put a big dent in our new cupboard drawer and it has to be replaced. We just don't want to take any chances with our tile.

TWEAK

Reaction score
$19 for 1/8" masonite? That's nuts. Got to Home Cheepo.... it's inexpensive enough there to be a throw-away.

jane4566

Reaction score
When I was remodeling a few weeks ago, I used a lot of these for things like tables and chairs:

MightyMvrsFrntrSldrs_l.jpg

... but the website says this particular set can be used for heavy items like a refrigerator, washer, or dryer.

link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/hooks/floorSurfaceProtection?productId=10018304

Last edited:

jane4566

Reaction score
Sorry. I didn't realize until after I had posted that someone had already mentioned the EZ Movers.

Last edited:

Alyssa

Reaction score
Website
www.qualitybath.com
If you don't have any of the appliances mentioned above you can use a child's toy with wheels- ex: a scooter. I've done this numerous times and it works! I actually never moved a fridge, but I moved large boxes this way. Be creative!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks